Red-necked Grebe - Potomac River near National Airport/Hains Point

David Ledwith

Jan 16, 2017, 7:36:53 PM1/16/17
to Maryland & DC Birding
I am posting to the VA and the MD/DC listserv since this is of interest to both.

After reading reports of Red-necked Grebe near Hains point in DC, I decided to go late this morning to look for them from Gravelly Point Park in Virginia next to National Airport. From this vantage point, I was able to see 4 Red-necked Grebe close to the wall at Hains Point (spotting scope needed). In order to get a better view, I drove to Hains Point in DC and found that is was closed. I asked a Park Police officer if I could walk into Hains Point and he told me that Hains Point is closed to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic due to the upcoming inauguration. The officer said that the park wouldn't open again until sometime next Saturday at the earliest.

David Ledwith
Falls Church, VA