Swan Creek birdwalk this morning

Tim Carney

Aug 27, 2016, 6:40:45 PM8/27/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
We had a nice walk this morning at Swan Creek in Anne Arundel County. There were 41 participants which might be a new high count! By the far the highlight was a group of 4 BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS foraging on the south cell dirt. We had point-blank views in direct lighting of these beauties. Scope views revealed the intense coloration and patterning. (I love this species.)

Also: 3 Wilson's Phalaropes, 4 American Avocets, 5 Sanderlings, several Short-billed Dowitchers and Stilt Sandpipers, and a few Western Sandpipers. Some participants saw Baird's Sandpipers but not everyone was able to pick these out. Stan's group saw two adult Common Ravens and my group had a probable fly-by adult.

Warblers were terribly lacking, with Common Yellowthroat and Yellow Warbler being the only species we saw. Need a cold front, badly.

Thanks to Stan Arnold for co-leading and Karen Caruso for enforcing the sign-in sheet! You both helped me out a lot.

Tim Carney
Nottingham, MD

Full eBird list: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31277068

Tim Carney

Aug 29, 2016, 9:37:51 AM8/29/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
Apologies for spamming the list. If anyone has photos of the Baird's Sandpiper (not seen by my group, so no photos here) from this weekend, please send them or add them to the checklist. Some of the photos included under BASA in the checklist are of a Pectoral Sandpiper, and we got pinged by eBird reviewers for the mistake.

Thanks!
Tim Carney
Nottingham, MD