Northeastern Montgomery Co., Oct. 12

Scott Baron

Oct 13, 2015, 7:56:39 AM10/13/15
to Maryland & DC Birding

Hi,

I visited Blue Mash Nature Trail and Rachel Carson Conservation Park yesterday morning.

Numbers and diversity were OK at Blue Mash.  The best birds were heard-only flyover Horned Larks, a couple of late Spotted Sandpipers foraging along the edge of the pond and a flock of 55 teal at the pond.  Most of the teal were Blue-winged, which ebird flagged as a high number.

My friend joined me at Rachel Carson Conservation Park later in the morning.  It was mostly quiet but we got good, brief looks at a late male Hooded Warbler.  We were first alerted to it by its call.  It was flycatching in the understory.  This was on the Hidden Pond Trail across from the pond on the edge of a thicket of invasive shrubs.  Even though we couldn't spent a lot of time at Rachel Carson, I was surprised that this was our only warbler there.

Many mid-fall migrant species were present this morning: sparrows, kinglets, Hermit Thrush, etc.

Bye,

Scott Baron
Gaithersburg, Md.