[FR] Nest box mystery

JAMES SPEICHER

May 3, 2016, 1:31:47 PM5/3/16
to Maryland Birds & Birding
Posting for Susan Hanson of Lewis Mill/Catoctin Creek Pottery @Poffenberger Rd

Here is my question and quandary:
I checked by bluebird nest boxes – the ones that had eggs in
them...this morning one has blue birds that are approaching
fledglinghood. The other box, that had had one blue egg now has two
little yellow birds (no hair, probably born yesterday) and one brown
speckled egg. Question? Who is it? And what happened to the little
blue egg?

Other bird notes – yesterday I was entertained by 3 Rose breasted Grosbeaks.

Jim Speicher

Kojo Baidoo

May 3, 2016, 9:11:25 PM5/3/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
It sounds like the second box was attacked by House Sparrows, and they most likely ejected the egg and took over the next box, it seems.