Wheaton Regional Park today, August 19

Gail Mackiernan

Aug 19, 2017, 12:08:19 PM8/19/17
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Weak cold front and sun brought birders out to Wheaton Regional Park; we went around for much of the morning with Linda Friedland and Susan Hunt. It also brought in some migrants, most obvious was a enthusiastic invasion of Baltimore Orioles. At least a dozen were feeding in vines on the "ridge" - the sunny higher area bordering the gravel lot at Shorefield - and we saw at least 8 more near Pine Lake. Some warblers as well, multiple Redstarts, Black-and-whites and two nice Canadas. Later, Barry and I found a Northern Waterthrush in the Brookside Gardens native plant area. Barry had an early Least Flycatcher near Pine Lake. Hopefully, a prelude to the days ahead.

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

Aug 19, 2017 7:30 AM - 10:00 AM
49 species (+2 other taxa)

birds of interest:

Wood Duck  3
Green Heron  5     Three at Pine Lake, two in .Brookside
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  6
Belted Kingfisher  2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  8
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  5
Least Flycatcher  1     Seen by Barry Cooper, early. Small compact Empid, small bill, obvious large prominent eyeing, appeared in fresh plumage with bright wingbars, off-white underparts with no sign of yellow, grayish- olive upper parts. Observed for some minutes as it foraged low in wilows near lake.
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Eastern Kingbird  2
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Barn Swallow (American)  20     On wires near gravel parking lot, about half immatures.
House Wren (Northern)  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  7
Eastern Bluebird  4
Gray Catbird  8
Cedar Waxwing  2
Northern Waterthrush  1     Brookside native plant area
Black-and-white Warbler  3
American Redstart  6     2 adult males
Canada Warbler  2
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)  3     One probable Yellowthroat but silent and skulking.
Chipping Sparrow  12
Eastern Towhee  2
Scarlet Tanager  1
Indigo Bunting  3