Situation update

Roberto Rosario

Mar 31, 2018, 2:41:49 AM3/31/18
to Mayan EDMS
Big thank you to everybody that has reached out, sent first necessity items, and donated. You have made a situation without precedent much more bearable.

This is the situation at the moment (without going into politics or corruption, that has gone to a whole new level of insanity).

Utilities are mostly working. There are still a several outages per week but in comparison with having no power, it is a much better situation. Now we can purchase groceries knowing the chances of it spoiling are much lower.

Internet and cell phone service are still spotty. We get 1Mbit of download speed. Using heavy ad filtering and compression browsing experience is tolerable but trying to watch streaming content is painful. The same goes for VOIP and video calls. Remote work takes patience.

Driving around is still an adventure. A lot of traffic lights are still out. Intersections are like a gauntlet. Patience in the streets is low and people are very prone to road rage. Traffic jams last hours. In those situations phone navigation is useless as there are still many connectivity dark zones.

Like most people in the island, my income sources have been gravely affected. Spending now the same amount of time I used to spend on Mayan and my other free projects is a luxury I can't afford. I hope to be able to take some time soon to revise all the work done by the Mayan EDMS NG team and start merging. Since their fork has moved quite a bit ahead of Mayan EDMS, this revision and merge process will be mostly manual. To make the most of the time, I'll focus on bug fixes and outdated version updates (Django, packages, etc), before going into features. From what I've seen so far, they have done a very good job. Their job quality will make mine easier.

This has been the worst natural disaster in generations and one of the worse experiences I've had to go through. But we survived it and that's all that matters. We rebuilt our island. And we will rebuild this, our project.

Thank again to everybody.

David Kornahrens

Apr 1, 2018, 4:05:01 PM4/1/18
to Mayan EDMS
Glad to hear you are doing well, considering.  Look forward to you getting 100% back on your feet.

Michael Price

Apr 1, 2018, 4:52:32 PM4/1/18
to Mayan EDMS
Glad to have you back sir! Excited to see that a lot of our work is being merged into Mayan EDMS!

ericr...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2018, 5:03:39 PM4/1/18
to Mayan EDMS
This is great news!

From what I've been seeing on the net, things are still very bad there.

I speak for myself but I'm sure others feel the same way, you are an inspiration. Not only for your work on Mayan, but for all you've accomplished, before and after the hurricane. All the sh*t and harassment you've had to deal with and still managed to come out on top. I admire you very much. Thank you for all your work, thank you for all the lessons.

Michael Price

Apr 1, 2018, 5:13:35 PM4/1/18
to mayan...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. I too, feel privileged for be able to work on this project and to be able to learn from an industry leader.

--

---