What format for scanned files?

Manuel Reiter

Apr 8, 2017, 8:24:25 AM4/8/17
to Mayan EDMS
What format are you using for scanned files? Scanimage can only produce PNG and TIFF, I lean towards PDF for now but would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Matthias Löblich

Apr 9, 2017, 2:18:28 PM4/9/17
to Mayan EDMS
Hi Manuel,
best would be to optimize the scans before adding them to the EDMS.

I am using a changed version of this:
http://www.och-group.de/2016/10/25/update-fujitsu-scansnap-ix500-mit-raspbian-raspberry-pi-als-scanserver-nutzen/

Blog is German, but script is bash :-)

br
Matthias

Manuel Reiter

Apr 9, 2017, 3:12:10 PM4/9/17
to Mayan EDMS
Thanks, interesting script. I'll give it a closer look these days. BTW, I'm german myself, so no problems with the blog text. ;)

Cheers,

  Manuel

Matthias Löblich

Apr 9, 2017, 3:31:56 PM4/9/17
to mayan...@googlegroups.com
Hätte ich mir denken können bei dem Namen ;-).

Grüße aus Österreich
lg
Matthias

--

---

Roberto Rosario

Apr 20, 2017, 3:13:08 AM4/20/17
to Mayan EDMS
For me it depends on what I'm scanning and the priority of the scan (text, color, image). For images I use JPEG to conserve detail without having files that are too big. For drawings or blueprints I use PNG. For multipage scans like contracts I use PDF. There is an experimental branch that add a headless SANE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanner_Access_Now_Easy) source support (https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/tree/feature/sane_source), this would allow for scanning documents directly into Mayan straight from the scanner and not having to use a separate program. It is a proof of concept but if improved could be added in the next version.

Manuel Reiter

Apr 22, 2017, 7:16:23 AM4/22/17
to Mayan EDMS
Thanks! I'll give the SANE branch a look. Scanning directly into Mayan would be a nice feature. For now, I intend to set up automated scanning into the staging folder triggered by the scanner buttons. Do you have any idea how you will handle multi page documents yet? I use an approach of one button for the last or only page and one button for all other pages.

If it's not too off-topic, may I ask how you produce the PDFs from your scans? I have the feeling that converting the PNMs directly with convert leads to overly large PDFs.

Jonathon Exley

Apr 22, 2017, 3:10:47 PM4/22/17
to mayan...@googlegroups.com
I use simple scan on Linux to create multi-page PDFs then use the web browser upload form.
My multi function printer/scanner says it can do scans direct to an ftp server but I haven't worked out how to do it yet.

On Apr 22, 2017 11:16 PM, "Manuel Reiter" <manuel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks! I'll give the SANE branch a look. Scanning directly into Mayan would be a nice feature. For now, I intend to set up automated scanning into the staging folder triggered by the scanner buttons. Do you have any idea how you will handle multi page documents yet? I use an approach of one button for the last or only page and one button for all other pages.

If it's not too off-topic, may I ask how you produce the PDFs from your scans? I have the feeling that converting the PNMs directly with convert leads to overly large PDFs.

--

---

Jesaja Everling

Apr 22, 2017, 3:46:56 PM4/22/17
to mayan...@googlegroups.com
Many scanners also have a "scan-to-email" function which might work nicely as well for many use cases.

Manuel Reiter

Apr 27, 2017, 4:31:31 PM4/27/17
to Mayan EDMS
Thanks for your input, Jonathon! Simple scan sounds like a manual solution, however. I'm looking for a process that allows me to produce multi page PDFs using only my printer/scanner's buttons.

Manuel Reiter

Roberto Rosario

Apr 30, 2017, 7:13:12 PM4/30/17
to Mayan EDMS

Manuel Reiter

May 5, 2017, 4:57:04 AM5/5/17
to Mayan EDMS
Thanks for the suggestion. However, imy question is not really about initiating the scan but rather about how to process the raw PNM output before importing the results into Mayan. The linked page's scan script seems to just convert PNM to JPG via ImageMagick's 'convert'. I'm looking more for a method of producing reasonable quality reasonably sized PDFs.