WorldClim Data Down-Sampling vs Up-Sampling

Robert Pace

Dec 6, 2016, 11:45:36 AM12/6/16
to Maxent
I am wanting to use a few uncorrelated data layers from  WorldClim 1.4 historic data (BioClim variables) in my MaxEnt modeling of the rare plant Taxus canadensis within Kentucky.

When modeling for an area the size of Kentucky, should I down-sample all my 5 meter resolution data (digital elevation model, slope, aspect, and soils data) to match  WorldClim's 30 arc-seconds resolution, or can I up-sample the 30 arc-second WorldClim data to 5 meter resolution to match the other layers?

I've looked at the DEM, Slope, Aspect, and Soils data at 30 arc-seconds resolution and the data has become incredibly homogenized with most of the unique elements of each data layer being lost in the down-sampling.

What are the pros and cons of up-sampling vs down-sampling?