maxent can´t load ENMTools species csv files?

Darren Norris

Jan 8, 2014, 6:51:06 PM1/8/14
to max...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I am trying to run a "identity hypothesis test" in ENMTools.

3 species in seperate .csv files: http://sdrv.ms/1cPOHgw

layers files are here: http://sdrv.ms/1cPOSsb

ENMTools reads the .csv (command window shows correct number of records for each species), opens maxent, loads environmental layers but then I get a “no species selected error”  click OK then a “can´t write to file error”

I am using windows vista (running ENMTools 1.3 as administrator) with Maxent 3.3.3k.

The ".csv" files were generated using “write.csv” in R (3.0.2)

I´m new to ENMTools and have no idea how to solve this? Could someone try to run an "identity hypothesis test" with my data to see if I am doing something stupid ....

Any suggestions as to how I can get this working?

Thanks for any help....

Darren

Dan.L....@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2014, 3:37:58 AM1/11/14
to max...@googlegroups.com
My best guess is that it's due to the fact that your header and your species names have quotes around them.  They're invisible in excel, but if you open your files in a text editor they are there.  Try getting rid of those and see if it works.  Cheers!

Darren Norris

Jan 11, 2014, 8:29:38 AM1/11/14
to max...@googlegroups.com
Yes! Thanks Dan

Using R to generate the species .csv file I needed to set quote to FALSE and now it runs fine e.g. write.csv(df,"mydf.csv",quote=FALSE,row.names = FALSE)
Best,
Darren

Dan.L....@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2014, 3:41:24 AM1/12/14
to max...@googlegroups.com
Great, glad it worked.  Cheers!

Dubravka Milic

Sep 8, 2015, 9:00:20 PM9/8/15
to Maxent

Hi, we have the same problem as Darren,

We are trying to run a "identity hypothesis test" in ENMTools.

ENMTools reads the .csv (command window shows correct number of records for each species), opens maxent, loads environmental layers, but then we get a “no species selected”  click OK then a “can´t open species, latitude, longitude"

Also, we opened our files in a text editor and there were no any quotes, space around species name.

We are new to ENMTools and have no idea how to solve this? We have two separated species files and maybe we made a mistake at first step. Can you please tell us what we need to do (add, import, save and clear), step by step...

Any suggestions as to how we can get this working?

Thanks for any help....

Jelena and Dubravka

Dan Warren

Sep 9, 2015, 8:28:04 PM9/9/15
to Maxent
Would you mind sending me your .csv files?  I'll see if I can figure it out.

romina barbosa

Sep 29, 2015, 2:58:36 PM9/29/15
to Maxent

Hi everyone,

I am trying to run a "identity hypothesis test" in ENMTools.

I have 2 species in one .csv file and the layers files are here in .tif

ENMTools reads the .csv (command window shows correct number of records for each species), opens maxent, loads environmental layers but then I get a error: “... layer is missing from...”  . Them I click OK and ENMTools run and finish very fast and the final sorted file have one row with D=1 and I=1

I´m new to ENMTools too, so if you hace some idea how to solve this?

Any suggestions ? could I use R to run it?

I try whit ecospat funtions but, I dond know how put the maxent escores in the function. The escores have to be from a model with the two species together?

z1<-ecospat.grid.clim.dyn ( )
z2<- ecospat.grid.clim.dyn ( )
a<-ecospat.niche.equivalency.test(z1,z2,rep=100)# test of niche equivalency and similarity according to Warren et al. 2008
b<-ecospat.niche.similarity.test(z1,z2,rep=100)
b2<-ecospat.niche.similarity.test(z2,z1,rep=100)

Thanks for any help.

Romina

Dan Warren

Sep 30, 2015, 10:25:02 PM9/30/15
to Maxent
Does Maxent itself build models successfully when you input your .csv and .tif files?  I didn't think that it understood .tifs at all.

romina barbosa

Oct 2, 2015, 2:01:55 PM10/2/15
to max...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

First of all thank very much for answer me so quickly.

I tried with Maxent itself and it didn't work. Then I changed .tif files for another .mxe and it worked.

Finally ENMTools gave me  sp1_vs_sp2_sorted.csv and  sp1_vs_sp2.csv files. The second file is the one  I have to use to do the null distribution of niche overlap "I" and "D" (the expected degree of niche overlap when samples are drawn from the same distribution). However I did 100 replicates and in my file there are 200 values in the second row, so, I guess the first 100 are "I" values and the following 100 are "D" values, isn't it?

Just one more doubt. I am to compare spatial niches between sister species (4 species in the same region/spatial area) in order to infer about their conservation management.

What do you would recommend, compare spacial niches from SDMs or from the occurrences points like the niche similarity test of Broennimann et al. (2011)' s framework ?

Thanks a lot Dr. Warren, it has been a pleasure to chat with you here!

IDENTITY_sp1_vs_sp2.csv

Dan Warren

Oct 3, 2015, 5:57:23 AM10/3/15
to Maxent
There is something very weird going on with this .csv file, and I'm not at all sure what it is.  There should be two columns of 100 values each, but clearly ENMTools is either not printing newlines or they were removed from the file somehow.  There are also a whole bunch of commas that shouldn't be there on the first line.  What version of ENMTools was this, and what operating system?

romina barbosa

Oct 6, 2015, 1:13:30 PM10/6/15
to max...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I tried again and that time the .csv file was with 3 columns (I, D and Relative Rank)!! So, I don't know what happened the firth time.

Thanks a lot Dr. Warren.

Romina Barbosa