Environmental layers priority

xavi rayo

Nov 21, 2017, 12:22:33 AM11/21/17
to Maxent

Hi!
I'm tryin to model the habitat for posidonia oceanica in an smal region where I have several environmental layers like backscatter, bathymetry, aspect, slope an rugosity. I would like the model to use a primary enviropnemtal layer, the backscatter, as I'm working in an area with much diferrences betweenn slope or bathymetry. Is there a way to priorize a layer against the others. When I run the model, it apperars to use mostly the bathymetry, although there are important differences also in the backscatter.  Maybe there is something I'm doing wrong or that I don't understand.

Thank you very much for your help!

MaxentNoob

Feb 8, 2018, 9:43:19 PM2/8/18
to Maxent
Don't use aspect. It is a circular variable.  Catastrophic in particular if you project to a different resolution or coordinate reference system later.
Think about it. What is the mean angle of 360 and 0? Does it represent the original data in a meaningful way? Not at all.
Also consider that 0 and 360 both perfectly point to north and what that might do with your estimation of coefficients.
Simply transform with cosinus and sinus for easterness and northerness. You might call the latter southerness if you multiply it by -1.
In this case both layers are associated with more light (given you are north of the equator).

Cheers

Neftalí Sillero

Feb 9, 2018, 6:16:11 AM2/9/18
to max...@googlegroups.com
The easiest way to use aspect is to transform degrees to radians.

Neftalí Sillero
Assistant Researcher
https://sites.google.com/site/neftalisillero/
https://scholar.google.pt/citations?user=yJHOX7IAAAAJ&hl=en
http://na2re.ismai.pt/
neftali...@gmail.com

CICGE: Centro de Investigação em Ciências Geo-Espaciais
Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade do Porto
Observatório Astronómico Prof. Manuel de Barros
Alameda do Monte da Virgem
4430-146 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal

Life is too short to eat bad chocolate

Rainer Wunderlich

Neftalí Sillero

Feb 12, 2018, 2:19:22 PM2/12/18
to max...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rainer,

You are completely right about radians. They have the same problem than degrees. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers

Francisco Amorim