How to create a compatible .csv input file for Maxent

Clarissa Crist

Nov 28, 2016, 12:49:25 PM11/28/16
to Maxent
Hello!

I have data that I would like to process in Maxent that is currently in an excel file of coordinate points for species distributed on Madagascar. I have a lot of information attached to each coordinate point, like the data it was collected, the institution, who collected, the elevation, and more. I have been trying to input the data into Maxent, but I am getting warnings that there are 0 training samples and each sample is outside the bounding box of environmental data, therefore, it skips the data.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to resolve this issue to make my data compatible with Maxent?

Thank you!

Jacek Stefaniak

Nov 28, 2016, 12:53:18 PM11/28/16
to max...@googlegroups.com
1) Use .csv format rather than .xls
2) Try use "," NOT ";" as separator :) For numbers, you can use '." as decimal separator.
3) My .csv for MaxEnt usually contain only 3 fields: SPECIES, X, Y - and it works ;)

Hope that helps for starters ;)

J.

Gebreyohannes Zenebe

Nov 29, 2016, 1:37:41 AM11/29/16
to max...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
1. Must be in .csv format
2. With three fields: Species name, lon(x), lat(y)
3. Remove the header i.e. Species name, lon(x), lat(y)
4. the spatial reference must be in geographic coordinate system.

Good luck!
zenebe

Steve Research

Nov 29, 2016, 2:11:42 AM11/29/16
to max...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clarissa,

As the others have said it needs to be reduced to a CSV file.

The easiest way to do it is add another tab in Excel (rename it a s 'Stripped' or something like that).
Copy and paste your whole data set into 'Stripped'.
Then set about removing the columns etc that have the unwanted data as mentioned in the other replies.
When you just have the 'species', 'long', 'lat' data left, do a 'save as' and select CSV.

If you make sure you are just stripping the new tab it ensures that your original rich data is preserved. A 'save as CSV' only saves the open sheet as it is a flat file.

Cheers
Steve

Clarissa Crist

Dec 13, 2016, 9:05:57 PM12/13/16
to Maxent
Thank you for the help!

Clarissa Crist

Dec 13, 2016, 9:06:15 PM12/13/16
to Maxent
Thank you!

Clarissa Crist

Dec 13, 2016, 9:06:29 PM12/13/16
to Maxent
Thanks!

Diego Guarin

Jul 27, 2018, 4:22:12 PM7/27/18
to Maxent
I have the same problem  I have tried the options that you mentioned but still does not work. If I can send you the file and maybe see what is the problem I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Kind regards

Diego

Rebekah Persad

Feb 13, 2019, 7:30:38 PM2/13/19
to Maxent
How you figured it out? I'm still having trouble.

Best,
Rebekah

Shuhan Song

Feb 17, 2019, 7:03:44 AM2/17/19
to max...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I think you need to create a new .csv file with columns: Species, longitude, latitude only. You also need to follow the order as above. Hope it helps.

Best,
Shuhan

Class of 2019