Test AUC standard deviation

Bothrops

May 5, 2008, 11:42:11 AM5/5/08
to Maxent
Dear colleagues
Which is the difference between a model with a AUC Test value of 0.99
with standard deviation of -1.000 and a model with a AUC Test value of
0.99 but with standard deviation of 0.001 (calculated as in DeLong,
DeLong & Clarke-Pearson 1988, equation 2)?. What this difference in
standard deviation means to the model?. What is the biology meaning of
this standard deviation differences?
Thanks
Nicolas

Paco Rodríguez

May 7, 2008, 4:26:35 AM5/7/08
to Max...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicolas

I would say that your standard deviation of -1.000 must be wrong. To my knowledge, standard deviations must always be positive, and given that AUC ranges between 0 and 1, much lower values than 1 should be obtained for the standard deviation. Perhaps try repeating the analysis to find out what could have failed.

Standard deviation is a measure of the uncertainty of the parameter. If you obtain a low standard deviation you can have higher confidence on your estimate of AUC. In your case, a standard deviation of 0.001 means that the actual test AUC value must be very close to 0.99.

Hope this helps,

Paco

Bothrops

May 7, 2008, 12:37:03 PM5/7/08
to Maxent
Dear Paco
Thanks for your response. I keep having some SD values of -1. To date
I have run MaxEnt models for 158 reptiles and 285 amphibians in Mexico
and of those 443 species I have 76 models with a SD of -1 but without
an apparent relation with AUC values (those 76 models ranged from a
Test AUC of 1 to 0.6 with a mean of 0.98) or number of registers
(those 76 models ranged from a number of registers of 6 to 20, with a
mean of 7 registers)
It could be due to some problems with MaxEnt?.
I have run those 443 models with 25% for test and 75% for training. Do
you think if I use just 10% of registers to test the model the Test
AUC SD could be fixed?
Thanks
Best
Nicolas

On May 7, 3:26 am, "Paco Rodríguez" <frodrigu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nicolas
>
> I would say that your standard deviation of -1.000 must be wrong. To my
> knowledge, standard deviations must always be positive, and given that AUC
> ranges between 0 and 1, much lower values than 1 should be obtained for the
> standard deviation. Perhaps try repeating the analysis to find out what
> could have failed.
>
> Standard deviation is a measure of the uncertainty of the parameter. If
> you obtain a low standard deviation you can have higher confidence on your
> estimate of AUC. In your case, a standard deviation of 0.001 means that the
> actual test AUC value must be very close to 0.99.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Paco

Steven Phillips

May 7, 2008, 1:33:56 PM5/7/08
to Max...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nicolas,

The value of -1 for the standard deviation of the AUC indicates that
the standard deviation cannot be calculated. I expect that this is
happening because you have only 6 test presence records for some
species, and using 25% of the records for testing gives you only a
single test presence record to use in the AUC calculation. The
standard deviation cannot be determined from a single test presence
record.

I've made a change to the code so that in the next release an
explanation of the -1 value will be given in the .html output if
there's only 1 test presence.

-- Steven

Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 09:37:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bothrops <nurb...@gmail.com>

Emma Marotte

Apr 23, 2016, 9:47:44 AM4/23/16
to Maxent, Max...@googlegroups.com
I am also having this issue of getting -1 SD value in my maxentResults output csv file. I am running R to model habitat suitability for blue whales using 222 sighting records. I am doing 100 replicates for 8 different sampling scenarios, and for the first 50-60 replicates or so I have regular AUC and AUC SD values. But the rest have an SD of -1... Wondering what is wrong and how I can fix this. Any additional help on this topic would be really appreciated, I am very new to MaxEnt and still trying to figure things out as I go!