imposing a depth threshold

Rita Castilho

May 17, 2018, 12:02:06 PM5/17/18
to Maxent
Hi,
I am working with a marine species that has a shallow distribution, and I would like to delimit modelling to a 50m depth threshold along the coastline using a bathymetric dataset (e.g. Bio-Oracle, MARSPEC or GEBCO). I am working in R. I do not want bathymetry to be part of the model though. Does anyone know how to do this?
Cheers,
Rita

Husam El Alqamy

May 17, 2018, 12:27:43 PM5/17/18
to max...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rita
In GIS You can achieve this by using the bathymetry layer to clip your study region so that modeling happens only within the clipped study region.

Inline image 1

Hossameldin ELALKAMY, MPhill., PhD.

GIS Analyst

Conservation Data Center|  Victoria

Ministry of Environment & Climate Change

P. 250.614.7521 C. 778.896.3229|395 Waterfront Cres.  Victoria, BC., V8W 9M1

 | Profile

Rita Castilho

May 17, 2018, 12:34:54 PM5/17/18
to Maxent
Hi Hossameldin,
Thanks for the tip, but I actually need more detail instructions on how to do it, preferably in R, but if not, not a problem either.
Can you provide more detail?

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 9:02 AM, Rita Castilho <rita....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am working with a marine species that has a shallow distribution, and I would like to delimit modelling to a 50m depth threshold along the coastline using a bathymetric dataset (e.g. Bio-Oracle, MARSPEC or GEBCO). I am working in R. I do not want bathymetry to be part of the model though. Does anyone know how to do this?
Cheers,
Rita

Husam El Alqamy

May 17, 2018, 1:28:52 PM5/17/18
to max...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I am not that familiar with doing it in R, I use ArcMap GIS.

Inline image 1

Hossameldin ELALKAMY, MPhill., PhD.

GIS Analyst

Conservation Data Center|  Victoria

Ministry of Environment & Climate Change

P. 250.614.7521 C. 778.896.3229|395 Waterfront Cres.  Victoria, BC., V8W 9M1

 | Profile

Rita Castilho

May 17, 2018, 1:55:39 PM5/17/18
to Maxent
I can access to ArcGIS. Can you give me some pointers?

Rita Castilho

May 17, 2018, 2:28:25 PM5/17/18
to max...@googlegroups.com
That is no problem, I can access ArcMap GIS. It is too much trouble to outline the task?
Thanks,
On 17 May 2018, at 18:28, Husam El Alqamy <alq...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry I am not that familiar with doing it in R, I use ArcMap GIS.

<image.jpeg>
 | Profile

Husam El Alqamy

May 17, 2018, 2:59:44 PM5/17/18
to max...@googlegroups.com
No not at all
1- in your bathymetry raster reclassify everything from 0 to 50 as to a new value of 1, and reclassify greater than 50 to 0.
2- convert  the new reclassified raster to polygon
3- apply dissolve to the new polygon layer where you have only 2 polygons of gridcodes 0 & 1 (do not use simplify option)
4- select all the polygons with gridcode=0 and delete them.
5- use the resulting polygon layer to clip your predictor raster layers. (use extract with mask not CLIP in Arcmap).
and you are done
hope that helps

Inline image 1

Hossameldin ELALKAMY, MPhill., PhD.

GIS Analyst

Conservation Data Center|  Victoria

Ministry of Environment & Climate Change

P. 250.614.7521 C. 778.896.3229|395 Waterfront Cres.  Victoria, BC., V8W 9M1

 | Profile

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/maxent.

Rita Castilho

May 17, 2018, 3:27:15 PM5/17/18
to Maxent
Ok. Thanks.
I will give it a try. This is my first time as ArcGIS user...