extent issue with Harmonized World Soil Database

Marlee Labroo

Jun 4, 2017, 4:28:23 PM6/4/17
to Maxent
Hi all,

The original .bil file for the HWSD has a very slightly skewed extent-- I think the Top should be 90, but as shown it is 89.9999 (as downloaded here: http://webarchive.iiasa.ac.at/Research/LUC/External-World-soil-database/HTML/).
Does anyone know why? It's caused me a lot of trouble getting this file to the same extent and resolution as the WorldClim variables I want to use it with for Maxent, and since they seem like widely-used databases thought I'd post.

Thanks!

Marlee

Jamie M. Kass

Jun 7, 2017, 6:22:29 AM6/7/17
to Maxent
If this data is the same resolution as the Worldclim data you're using, you can clip the Worldclim data to the soils raster. If not, you can resample one to the other's resolution and then clip. However, I'd like to point out that for most analyses, you shouldn't be using the entire world to sample your background points anyway, and should instead be using a restricted area that represents the space your species can disperse to.

Jamie

Marlee Labroo

Jun 8, 2017, 11:13:45 AM6/8/17
to Maxent
Thanks for the response-- my question is why the original file should be slightly off, not how to use it. Is this just an inaccuracy or was it done for a reason?

Marlee

ndimhypervol

Jun 8, 2017, 9:17:22 PM6/8/17
to max...@googlegroups.com
No clue, but the fact that it is a little off should not hinder most analyses, as the raster gets clipped anyway.

Jamie Kass
PhD Candidate, CCNY