Multi-species modelling and prevalence setting

Mattia Piccioli

Apr 14, 2014, 7:41:33 PM4/14/14
to max...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

my goal is to map and evaluate the distribution of several bat species under current and future climatic conditions. Thus, I would like to identify both species-specific and community level responses to the changing climate.

In order to compare the results of several species, how I should set the default prevalence parameter? Is it advisable to maintain this value similar for all species or can I vary it between species? My main concern is whether I can make model comparisons’ between species with different prevalence values.

Every suggestion is accepted, thank you!

Mattia

David Le Maitre

Apr 17, 2014, 3:14:03 AM4/17/14
to max...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthia

I suggest you read this aper by Phillips Ecography 35: 385–387, 2012 which has a good discussion of the rationale for a particular value and the default of 0.5. If you believe your data are suitable you can then vary it keeping all the other settings constant adjustments and compare the various output (response curves, envelopes, etc) and see if the shifts make sense given what you know about your species and its relationships to its environment (habitat, food sources, etc). The better your knowledge of the species the better your modelling will be.

Regards

David

>>> Mattia Piccioli <mattiapic...@gmail.com> 15/04/2014 01:41 >>>

and is believed to be clean.