Training gain versus test gain

tmlehman

Feb 2, 2016, 8:43:24 PM2/2/16
to Maxent
Could someone tell me the difference between training gain and test gain?

Thank you!

Cristian Alexander Cruz Rodríguez

Apr 14, 2016, 12:27:23 PM4/14/16
to Maxent
Hi,

I have a same question. Do you already know the answer?

Thanks

Taylor Lehman

Apr 20, 2016, 7:59:45 PM4/20/16
to max...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I was able to find the answer.

Training gain is a measure of the model’s fit to the training data (sample points placed into the model).

Test gain is a measure of the model’s fit to the test data that was set aside. This measurement is more important for transferability (ex. applying the model to future climate conditions).