background bias file in MaxEnt weighted to species density

Mohamed Sallam

Jun 5, 2017, 10:29:29 PM6/5/17
to Maxent
Dear all,
I'm working on distribution niche modeling of some mosquito species.Some of these mosquito species have limited flight range, so I created buffer zones around the sampling points and weighted these buffer zones to the collected mosquito density. I used ArcGIS to create the buffer zones and converted it to ASCII to be used as background file. The background ascii file has densities ranges from 0-300 within the extent of my study area.
I understand that MaxEnt depends on presence records only and the background file should represent the pseudo-negative records. However, I noticed that the generated risk maps from MaxEnt using density weighted Background ascii file is totally different than when I use pseudo-absence background file.
Is that mean that MaxEnt distinguish between different mosquito densities in the background?
Any thoughts why this happen?
Thanks
Mohamed