Fatal Error: java.lang.NullPointerException

Cathy

Jun 6, 2010, 11:49:46 AM6/6/10
to Maxent
Hello:

Has anyone run into a similar problem?

I've been running some background tests in ENMTools 1.1, using Maxent
3.3.1, as recommended on the ENMTools webpage. I successfully
obtained results for one pair of taxa, but when I went to run the next
pair, I got the following error from the Maxent GUI:

Fatal Error: java.lang.NullPointerException

The log in ENMTools gave me:

Can't open C:/ENMTools1.1/ENMTools/Pithysalbalb_rep1.asc!!

Can't open C:/ENMTools1.1/ENMTools/Pithysalbalb_rep1.asc!!

while executing
"::perl::CODE(0x2495ec4)"
invoked from within
".b5 invoke "
invoked from within
".b5 instate {pressed !disabled} { .b5 state !pressed; .b5 invoke } "
(command bound to event)

And the ENMTools screen showed:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\ENMT\plots\willise.png (The system
cannot find the path specified)
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(UnknownSource)
at javax.imageio.stream.FileImageOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at
com.sun.imageio.spi.FileImageOutputStreamSpi.createOutputStreamInstance(Unknown
Source)
at javax.imageio.ImageIO.createImageOutputStream(UnknownSource)
at javax.imageio.ImageIO.write(UnknownSource)
at density.Display.writeImage(Display.java:401)
at density.Runner.makePNG(Runner.java:1090)
at density.Runner.makePicture(Runner.java:1102)
at density.Runner.makePicture(Runner.java:1049)
at density.Runner.makePicture(Runner.java:1028)
at density.Runner.start(Runner.java:491)
at density.GUI$7.construct(GUI.java.319)
at density.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:108)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Fatal Error: java.lang.NullPointerException
Error: Fatal Error

I have tried running ENMTools with Maxent 3.3.2 and 3.3.0beta. I have
tried deleting the maxent.cache files in the layers folder. I have
also tried running it with a set of layers that results in fewer cases
of missing environmental data.

None of these variations offered a solution for me. What is
especially strange is that I am working on two laptops and the same
thing happened on both: I ran an analysis successfully, then the next
analysis gave this error.

Any advice as how to overcome this problem will be greatly
appreciated. Thank you!

Catherine Bechtoldt
University of Illinois

Cathy

Aug 2, 2010, 3:15:28 PM8/2/10
to Maxent
I wrote to Warren and he said:

"It could be a couple of things, but the easiest to try is just to
manually create a folder within the output directory named "plots" and
see if that fixes it."

I did this and it worked. I also empty the output folder and plots
folder after each run (and save the results to their own folder).

Cathy

Ken Thompson

Jan 16, 2014, 4:10:55 PM1/16/14
to max...@googlegroups.com
Great post! I had the same issue and this fixed it for me as well.

Utsav Bahuguna

Sep 12, 2014, 5:56:28 AM9/12/14
to max...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I was going through the thread of posts, i tried making folder called "plots" in my destination folder, although the maxent GUI is processing but at the end the error message that pops up is as follows:

Can't open E:/try-max/identity/Habenaria foliosa_rep0.asc! at ENMTools_3-17-2011.pl line 5078, <MAXENTRESULTS> line 31.

Can't open E:/try-max/identity/Habenaria foliosa_rep0.asc! at ENMTools_3-17-2011.pl line 5078, <MAXENTRESULTS> line 31.

    while executing
"::perl::CODE(0x366be34)"
    invoked from within
".b5 invoke "
    invoked from within
".b5 instate {pressed !disabled} { .b5 state !pressed; .b5 invoke } "
    (command bound to event)

Although i obtain the results of the speceis. But the the IDENTITY test excel sheets are empty.

Any sort of help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Regards,
Utsav

Daniel Romero

May 9, 2016, 9:05:14 AM5/9/16
to Maxent
Hi everybody!
I made a tutorial about how to perform the Background similarity test (youtube: https://goo.gl/ncKk3x). The solution of creating a folder called 'plots' inside the output directory folder resolved the issue for me. I talk about this error and other common error (called 5032) when performing the test. Let me know if the tutorial come in handy.
Regards
Daniel

abilio...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2017, 10:10:14 PM6/14/17