iterations on Maxent

Rafael Guerra Pimentel

Sep 2, 2008, 12:07:19 PM9/2/08
to Max...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

My name is Rafael Pimentel and I am quite new in this discussion group. I am a Brazilian student and at this moment I am working on may master thesis that leads with bird’s potential distribution modelling in the Brazilian Atlantic Forest.

So, learning about the Maxent, I become hazy about the behaviour of its algorithm.

My doubt concerns about the iterations made by the utilized algorithm. In Phillips et al., 2006 (Ecological Modelling 190) the authors said that the algorithm “iteratively picks a weight λ and adjust it so as to minimize the resulting regularized log loss”. Nevertheless, it is not so clear to me how is made this adjust of λ. I understand that the value of λ changes in each iteration, but how does it change to get to the maximum entropy probability distribution?

Actually is also not so clear to me what really means this weight λ.

If anyone could help me with this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Rafael Pimentel

Rafael Guerra Pimentel
Laboratório de Ecologia da Paisagem e Conservação - LEPaC
(11) 3091-7603
Departamento de Ecologia

Instituto de Biociências
Universidade de São Paulo

Novos endereços, o Yahoo! que você conhece. Crie um email novo com a sua cara @ymail.com ou @rocketmail.com.

Thomas Vieira

May 9, 2016, 9:05:02 AM5/9/16
to Maxent, Max...@googlegroups.com, rafaelg...@yahoo.com.br
Thats exactly what i'd like to know mate.. =/