Newbie to Python and Git, any help would be appreciated in trying to get Mavelous to work!

Jan 21, 2013, 9:29:08 AM1/21/13
to mave...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if anyone can help please!

I am not knew to VB, html or java as I have programmed in these and still do for web applications, but am totally new to python and git's. I even asked my 17 year old son to have a go as he is at college studying digital media and computing, but he is equally confused with python!

I have been trying to follow the installation guide on the wiseman/mavelous page and am falling down big time.

I loaded python 2.7 and can get the shell to run, but then the trouble starts. I loaded GitGui and tried to follow the instructions, successfully cloned the mavlink (line two in the attached mavelous git error image), but get the error shown when I try to clone mavelous (see attached image).

I subscribed to GitHub and then was able to clone the repositories using the clone in windows option, but then how do I use them as python doesn't seem to know where they are?

I tried to follow the instructions to use pip, but get the error shown in the pip error attachment.

I was able to download flask by going to their website, but can't seem to access it. I am assuming that maybe the paths are not being set so python has no idea where they are located.

Cherrypy and setuptools seem to be registered with python as they can be seen in the path browser, but I can't access them.

I have started to look at the learnthehardway.org tutorials in order to get an idea how python works. The penny hasn't dropped yet as they say!

I didn't really want to learn python, just to try mavelous, but the learning curve is humongous and I haven't achieved much!
mavelous git error.JPG
pip error.JPG

John Wiseman

Jan 21, 2013, 11:08:04 AM1/21/13
to mave...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Q.  I'm on the road so I'll be brief, but to get around the first git error you might try cloning "https://github.com/wiseman/mavelous.git" instead of the "git@..." path.

Pip is a separate program that needs to be installed (sorry, I don't know how to install it under windows) and run from the command prompt--not from inside python. It actually is possible to use pip from inside python, but it's a lot more complicated--you can try googling if that's your only option.

More generally, you might want to google to find out the best way to install python packages in windows, for example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1449494/how-do-i-install-python-packages-on-windows I don't use windows much so I don't have specific advice.

John

Jan 22, 2013, 3:01:55 AM1/22/13
to mave...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that I'll look further into it.

I had to laugh when I read this paragraph from a python tutorial...

I am warning you, this will be frustrating. In the business we call this "yak shaving". Yak shaving is any activity that is mind numblingly irritatingly boring and tedious that you have to do before you can do something else that's more fun. You want to create cool Python projects, but you can't do that until you setup a skeleton directory, but you can't setup a skeleton directory until you install some packages, but you can't install packages until you install package installers, and you can't install package installers until you figure out how your system installs software in general, and so on.

How true!