pushed refactor of button/popover code

Pat Hickey

Feb 17, 2013, 11:33:53 PM2/17/13
to mavelous
In response to several bugs with the button and popover code, I got rid of the big mess I made there the first time around and rewrote it to be much cleaner and simpler.

Unfortunately, I have not yet fixed any of the user interface bugs:

#38, navbar buttons not working consistently: seems to be caused by jquery missing a click event from the button element. I can't explain this at the moment but since it happens most often with the GPS button in sim mode, it may be the button text/class rendering code redrawing too much of the DOM element in mid-click. so, I'll have to keep looking into this.

#35, selectable gps info: we still redraw the entire popover-contents div each time we get a new gps packet, so this problem will probably be similar to before. The proposed solution was that we switch to a static template inside the div drawn once, and redraw just the changing text by altering span contents. if that really is the solution it should only take minor changes to the view code - the GpsPopoverViewDelegate now has direct access to the .popover-inner $el, rather than the funky event tangle there was before.

Best
Pat

Craig Elder

Feb 18, 2013, 1:21:30 AM2/18/13
to mave...@googlegroups.com
Any interest in moving the code from google over to github?

John Wiseman

Feb 18, 2013, 2:18:57 PM2/18/13
to mave...@googlegroups.com
Nice work, Pat.  I expect you're right about the re-instantiation of large parts of the DOM being responsible for event loss.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Pat Hickey <p...@moreproductive.org> wrote:

John Wiseman

Feb 18, 2013, 2:20:21 PM2/18/13
to mave...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if you meant to send to this list, Craig--the code has always been at https://github.com/wiseman/mavelous

John

Pat Hickey

Feb 23, 2013, 2:34:46 PM2/23/13
to mavelous

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM, John Wiseman <jjwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nice work, Pat.  I expect you're right about the re-instantiation of large parts of the DOM being responsible for event loss.

I just pushed a change (3e79730c) to gpsstatus.js which updates only the text inside of a <span> on the gps button, but I don't think it actually helped solve the problem. That was my only idea, and I'm not sure what to try next. We should find a web browser nerd who can help us diagnose this...