3rd July Monthly Public Meeting of Maui Makers

Jerry Isdale

Jun 30, 2014, 3:28:53 PM6/30/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Our July Public Meeting/TalkStory will be Thursday evening July 3rd 2014
at the Pu'unene School F2 building location.
See http://www.mauimakers.com/blog/?p=946 for directions and background.

Format: a short semi-formal meeting with lots of general mixing and talk story
Agenda Items:
* Introductions
* Maker Facility/Meeting Status
* Dremel Instructable Project
* 3D Printer Status
* Shapeoko 2 CNC bot status
* Virtual Summer Camp (Make/Google)
* online Tinkering class
* Local 3D CAD?CAM software classs
* other TBD - Bring a project to show or idea to talk

cole santos

Jul 1, 2014, 10:30:37 AM7/1/14
to mauimakers

May have many thoughts I can share them when I get back.

mike drescher

Jul 3, 2014, 7:20:30 PM7/3/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com, David B. Fisher

Aloha Makers!   I've been on the mainland for a few months...but I've been thinkin' about ya.   The Vermont Makers are an interesting model to look to.They work with kids, colleges, libraries and are active in furthering eco-engineering and sharing practical, appropriate-technologies at all levels:  This is their STEAM program in the skools:  http://steam-e-zine.com/index.php/maker-in-residence-program

And? They recently hosted the event below.  Mikie likes it.   Rinse.  Lather.  Repeat.

Education, innovation

Eco Logic All, A Vermont Makers meetup

PastedGraphic-2Eco Logic All
Vermont Makers meetup

7-8:30 pm, Thursday, June 19th

Generator, 250 Main St., Burlington, VT

Three Speakers On: economics, art & making

* Val Esposito describing our current economics & Ecological Economics, a systems thinking based mode of economics that calculates the complexities & realities of our planet. She will also explore how Vermont is measuring itself with the Genuine Progress Indicator & other visionary work.

* Rebecca Schwarz describing large & small scale art that works ecologically & technologically. Showing art in the form of research & large scale bioremediation to art that tests alternative economies. Beauty beyond the visual & into making meaning.

* Ken Howell describing the maker ethos as an antidote to runaway consumerism. Ken will explore the potential of maker culture & the tools of additive & on-demand manufacturing to mitigate ecological pressures.

Design & Imagine: future, Vermont, art, tech

After we hear from the speakers we will break into facilitated small group design sessions. Solving challenges in playful, serious, & / or quirky ways. Each group briefly reporting back to the larger group on their thoughts & concepts.

Mix & Explore:

Come early & stay after (5:30-7, 8:30-9) for conversation & exploration in Generator, Burlington’s new maker space.

With:

Generator, Sustain Champlain & Donella Meadows Institute

Questions? reb...@rebeccaschwarz.com