Fwd: Comparing the Same Design Fabricated with Filament Printing, Resin, and CNC

Jerry Isdale

Jan 11, 2017, 5:06:51 AM1/11/17
to MauiMakers
Here’s an interesting piece from Make Magazine comparing the same design implemented with 3 different 3d manufacturing techniques.  A common 3D design (CAD model) is built using a 3d filament printer, a 3d resin printer, and machined using a CNC mill.  All forms of desktop rapid prototyping.
All three types of prototyping are being done on Maui.

http://makezine.com/2017/01/10/3d-3ways-comparing-prototype-filament-printing-resin-cnc/

362 Pakana St, Wailuku HI

Design Global, Build Local.

Peter Menningen

Jan 11, 2017, 1:35:27 PM1/11/17
to MauiMakers
Thank You  that is very timely  and a well done article and should be a must read for every newbie.
 I will see if I can put a links folder on the USB drive at the maker space so we can have available for members.

If I do put a links folder I will subdivide it by subject matter or SIG  and it will just have links to important documents and articles. I will play with before releasing and placing desktop shortcuts to the drive location on all of the PC's

Bob Zoller

Jan 11, 2017, 7:00:24 PM1/11/17
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Hey Peter -- to build on your idea of links on the USB drive --

what if we use a GitHub wiki for this?  I created the MauiMakers organization for the shapeoko README a few months back.  as a concrete proposal: https://github.com/MauiMakers/MauiMakers/wiki

Jerry Isdale

Jan 11, 2017, 9:16:29 PM1/11/17
to MauiMakers
I like the idea of using GitHub to host a wiki.
Long ago we had a wiki hosted on our own server, but security on those is a nightmare.  We got spammed and taken over so quickly it became unusable (and cost me $$).
GitHub.com is reliable resource.  I use it for sharing personal software projects, and reading other peoples documentation.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mauimakers.

Peter Menningen

Jan 13, 2017, 1:29:02 PM1/13/17
to MauiMakers
Bob , Jerry, Need to look into I'm wondering how to manage user permissions so only active and paid MMI members can chime in on the wiki. My thoughts are to take offline and discuss details there. I'll start that e-mail thread