Intel/Instructables IoT Competition: Env/Ag Kit

Jerry Isdale

Jul 30, 2015, 6:06:22 PM7/30/15
to MauiMakers
Maui Makers has been selected to participate in the Instructables​/Intel Internet Of Things (IoT) Edison competition.  We are being sent the Environmental and Agricultural Kit and will have until Oct 5 to complete documentation (an instructable) on the project(s) we build.
We need some members to step up and help on this.  I will be off island for most of September, but we have August to get things going.
If you are interested, PM/email me and/or show up at next week's public meeting at the makerspace

Environmental & Agriculture
This kit is designed with agriculture in mind.  The 7 sensors in this kit can help you determine light, UV and dust in the environment and based on that information one could rinse a plant off with the water pump and/or water the plant and not waste any water because a flow sensor is included. There is an LED bar for visual output and a dry reed relay to turn things on and off.

Included in this Kit:
6V Mini Water Pump
G14 Water Flow Sensor
Grove Digital Light Sensor
Grove Dry-Reed Relay
Grove Dust Sensor
Grove Gas Sensor(MQ5)
Grove LED Bar
Grove Moisture Sensor
Grove UV Sensor
Grove Water Sensor

This post gives the basic details with correct dates:  http://www.instructables.com/contest/intel/
This is the instructables post that gives details on the kit etc:  http://www.instructables.com/community/Intel-IoT-Invitational/

Jerry Isdale

Aug 7, 2015, 8:22:47 PM8/7/15
to MauiMakers
I created a PAGE on our Blog to support the Intel IoT/Instructables Contest Project.  Currently it links to what we know from Instructables, to the various hardware components we expect, and lists some of the project ideas.  Luke Jones​ (our intern!!) will be helping to lead the project.
We currently have 3 project concepts. Choice will depend on who shows up to build it:
 * Aquaponics Control
 * Conventional Garden Monitor
 * Portable Environmental Sensor System

Brian Thomas

Aug 7, 2015, 8:36:45 PM8/7/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Great Jerry.

Good turnout last night, many new interesting people with good discussion on this(ese) projects.

Count me in for what I can do on the garden monitor/watering project.

Jerry Isdale

Aug 14, 2015, 4:56:04 AM8/14/15
to MauiMakers
The Edison kit has arrived and we need to get started on the project.
We will meet at the makerspace Sunday noon to oooo AAaaaa over the parts, and then get down to work.  First task will be to pick a project and refine it to delegate tasks.

We will also need people who just want to help document the project.  Photo/Videographers, writers for blog posts and the all important Instructable entry.

Ross Mukai

Aug 14, 2015, 7:25:43 AM8/14/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Functionally, I've found a lot of recommended adjustments to aquaponics systems are futile. Stuff like adding lemons to adjust ph. It corrects the symptom and satisfies the metrics, but throws the actual balance even further out likely by killing a lot of the necessary bacteria.

The portable environment monitoring system sounds really good. Schools have a very relevant problem right now with hot classrooms. A lot of data is being collected anecdotally with photos of all sorts of thermometers. Much better data over a longer period that includes relative humidity and perceptible or heat index temperatures could be collected by logging and graphing cheap DH22 sensors.

cole santos

Aug 14, 2015, 4:24:55 PM8/14/15
to mauimakers

We have 2 kits

Jerry Isdale

Aug 14, 2015, 4:33:13 PM8/14/15
to MauiMakers
you mean we got a 2nd kit sent so someone?  you directly?  Same sensors?

Jerry Isdale
Founder Maui Makers http://mauiMakers.com
USA Director Space Gambit http://spaceGambit.org

cole santos

Aug 14, 2015, 4:37:10 PM8/14/15
to mauimakers

Jerry Isdale

Aug 14, 2015, 4:47:06 PM8/14/15
to MauiMakers
Cool... so we can do multiple projects and/or one with multiple edisons.
Did the kit you got include the Grove Shield?  The one Dee received did not.
I have some grove shields in my stash so we can get started.

One suggestion:  do a whole series of instructables on individual sensors and effectors we received.
Each would give us (and readers) experience on how to hook up to edison and other physical things (eg pump + flow sensor + pipes).  This would also raise our Instructables count for the Makerspace Contest (win us a laser cutter).
Also doing individual HowTos would get more people experience with the different aspects - especially the documentation area.

WRT documentation - creating a simple desktop photo studio for the space would be great... something a bit more elaborate than... http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Photo-Studio/
(which would also be an instructable)

See ya on Funday!

cole santos

Aug 14, 2015, 4:49:03 PM8/14/15
to mauimakers

Probably the best idea is to do sensor how toos

Jerry Isdale

Aug 14, 2015, 6:42:56 PM8/14/15
to MauiMakers
I checked and I do have a number of Grove Shields.  They came with my ManyLabs kit (https://www.manylabs.org/docs/project/)   https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersand/manylabs-sensors-for-students/description  (the full set of sensors)

We can use the Grove Shields, as well as other sensors from this package in completing our projects.

Yup

We have 2 kits

Jerry Isdale
Founder Maui Makers http://mauiMakers.com
USA Director Space Gambit http://spaceGambit.org

Jerry Isdale
Founder Maui Makers http://mauiMakers.com
USA Director Space Gambit http://spaceGambit.org

cole santos

Aug 14, 2015, 6:50:28 PM8/14/15
to mauimakers

The most useful thing I found is the more simple things like how to hook up a grove shield with a water sensor really simple way up with the code and the item

Yup

We have 2 kits

Jerry Isdale
Founder Maui Makers http://mauiMakers.com
USA Director Space Gambit http://spaceGambit.org

Jerry Isdale
Founder Maui Makers http://mauiMakers.com
USA Director Space Gambit http://spaceGambit.org

Jerry Isdale

Aug 14, 2015, 8:54:28 PM8/14/15
to MauiMakers

Here's a pic of stuff we received

- jerry isdale

sent from my phone, which may have added its own interpretation of what i typed or dictated. I apologize for any auto correct errors introduced by our robotic under lord.

20150813_185152.jpg

Jerry Isdale

Aug 22, 2015, 11:10:39 PM8/22/15
to MauiMakers
Team Meeting Sunday 22 Aug Noon-5pm at the makerspace.
A google group has been setup to support our effort:

We could use some more adult mentors/interested parties and some photographer/video folks to get snippets of the dev process - both for the Instructables and for our own archives/promotional.