Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Peter Menningen

ungelesen,
26.01.2017, 13:10:1226.01.17
an MauiMakers
Exploring the possibility of building a rolling gantry to help me move materials to and from the big router. It will be made from aluminium My problem is that I will need the services of a person with aluminium welding experience to do the connections. The application requires experience

We have a MillerMatic 185 with the spool gun to do the welding with.

The assembled pieces will be too large to transport in my car. No tricky welds just sockets on plates and diagonal cross braces Plate to Plate.

Project is a few months away Material costs around $2K purchased item Around $5K + shipping

Unit will be made available to the makers in the space for assisting with moving large items or unloading items from trucks.

Is there anyone interested?

cole santos

ungelesen,
26.01.2017, 13:23:1326.01.17
an mauimakers
Seems like it will take up too much room

Peter Menningen

ungelesen,
26.01.2017, 14:35:4426.01.17
an MauiMakers
Nobody has seen any plans so how can you say that? BTW will be stored in the other side. I'm just looking for a welder with experience doing Aluminium that wants some free torch time to practice.

Ross Mukai

ungelesen,
26.01.2017, 14:54:1326.01.17
an mauim...@googlegroups.com
I've never seen a bridge crane made out of aluminum. Even a rolling gantry I've only ever seen steel construction

> On Jan 26, 2017, at 09:35, Peter Menningen <pmgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Nobody has seen any plans so how can you say that? BTW will be stored in the other side. I'm just looking for a welder with experience doing Aluminium that wants some free torch time to practice.
>
> --

Peter Menningen

ungelesen,
26.01.2017, 15:05:3826.01.17
an MauiMakers
I had one in my last job you could take apart with two persons and move around the facility Building engineering use it to maintain HVAC units so they could remove the 12" & 16"flanged pipe fittings from the chillers even on the roof. extremely handy it could lift 2000 lbs but their chain hoist could only do 1000 lbs you could move the load along the length of the cross beam.

I'll share design with you if I do build it. Mine is going to be 11' (Will confirm before ordering material this length is easily changed by beam length) between posts because I need to span my panel router and be able to move full sized MDF boards Planning a Vacuum lift holder to grab panels without damaging them. I have a medical lift limitation due to a back injury in 2000.

Nick

ungelesen,
27.01.2017, 13:17:5127.01.17
an MauiMakers

I've welded a lot of aluminum but only with TIG.  Never used a spool gun but I can only imagine it being easier.  I could take it on mid-late Feb.  Sounds like a good thing to have.  Would there be vacuum clamps to hold the sheet goods?

Peter Menningen

ungelesen,
27.01.2017, 14:04:0227.01.17
an MauiMakers
I'm not seeing a lot of thin stock in my mind mostly Thick walled tube and plate 3/8 thick or thicker. We ( I loaned) have a broad assortment of clamps and vise grips for welding. We may need to cut some angle stock to make holding fixtures for squareness. They would be great to have around anyway. Going to use socket construction to make it storable for transport. Most tube joints will be in compression and hardware will be in shear mode will be using grade 5 or better for hardware. I'm starting to do paper sketch on large sheet paper.

Jerry Isdale

ungelesen,
27.01.2017, 16:46:5927.01.17
an MauiMakers
My only experience welding Al is with special gas torch.
Old school style before TIG and spool guns were invented.
Got DVDs from my instructor to review, but the spool gun w/shield gas should work ok.

On Jan 27, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Peter Menningen <pmgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not seeing a lot of thin stock in my mind  mostly Thick walled tube and plate 3/8 thick or thicker.   We ( I loaned) have a broad assortment of clamps and vise grips for welding.  We may need to cut some angle stock to make holding fixtures for squareness.  They would be great to have around anyway.   Going to use socket construction to make it storable  for transport.  Most tube joints will be in compression and hardware will be in shear mode  will be using grade 5 or better for hardware.  I'm starting to do paper sketch on large sheet paper.

Peter Menningen

ungelesen,
27.01.2017, 20:22:0827.01.17
an MauiMakers
Jerry I don't want to do it myself On a structural Item you need to have experienced welders doing the connections. I may take the opportunity to practice and watch carefully. The commercial units with the span I need for the machine 15' between wheels start at $5K. This will get the metalworking side functional. I just cannot lift 100lb + panels by myself any more, and since I value my health especially by not doing stupid things I want it correct. I know the pitfalls I did test automotive lift equipment and have had some go through the old lab in the past.

And when I have this I won't need the engine crane any more so I can sell it.

http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/a_series_aluminum_crane/a_series_aluminum_gantry_crane.shtml Copy the link text to see what I'm discussing

Brian Thomas

ungelesen,
27.01.2017, 20:33:0827.01.17
an mauim...@googlegroups.com
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-telescoping-gantry-crane-69513.html

problem solved.

The aluminum costs will be high. I also have never heard of a grantry crane being made of aluminum but, more power to you if you can afford that.

cole santos

ungelesen,
27.01.2017, 21:26:3227.01.17
an mauimakers
We really talking about moving sheets of mfd no? Pete needs a labor guy.

Peter Menningen

ungelesen,
27.01.2017, 22:12:3127.01.17
an MauiMakers
Brian Harbor Freight will not ship more than 70 Lbs to HI that crane weighs in at 470 lbs and only has an 8 foot width. I need 14 ft

Cole I do not want to have an employee for the 5 minutes twice a week it takes to move a sheet of MDF But it is not just for MDF.

Jerry Isdale

ungelesen,
28.01.2017, 08:59:0528.01.17
an MauiMakers
You need someone skilled in welding Aluminum, willing to work on site, perhaps providing own tools (TIG++).
Perhaps it is time to reconnect with the folks at UHMC. They have a really nice welding school there. Alas much of their equipment goes unused although the classes are generally oversubscribed, as the college has not seen fit to put in the electrical they need… or that was the story a few years ago when we were talking with them about possibly hosting MauiMakers on campus.
Perhaps there are some graduates of that program that would be interested in the job.
Or perhaps there are some former employees of HC&S welding shops (Al skills there?) interested.
Anyone out there have connections with these island resources?

> On Jan 27, 2017, at 5:12 PM, Peter Menningen <pmgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Brian Harbor Freight will not ship more than 70 Lbs to HI that crane weighs in at 470 lbs and only has an 8 foot width. I need 14 ft
>
> Cole I do not want to have an employee for the 5 minutes twice a week it takes to move a sheet of MDF But it is not just for MDF.
>

> --
Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor
Weiterleiten