Backyard Aquaponics • View topic - Arduino Aquaponics Controller

Mike Drescher

Dec 15, 2014, 3:05:42 AM12/15/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

Good discussion. It seems this works not only for remote system monitoring but making adjustments too.

Have at it Makers:

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=22607

-m

Laura Ulibarri

Dec 15, 2014, 3:14:54 AM12/15/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
We should get an aquatics group together. Several members are interested.

Peter Menningen

Dec 15, 2014, 10:47:56 AM12/15/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:14:54 PM UTC-10, Laura Ulibarri wrote:
We should get an aquatics group together. Several members are interested.

I am willing to join in this discussion I have the IBC's and other stuff to start a system just need the place. Have the time to.I mentioned this to Cole when we first met.

Jerry Isdale

Dec 15, 2014, 6:21:11 PM12/15/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Cool.. Aquaponics has been on the list since maui makers started. (heck its how we met Mike D!)
There are some Kihei Charter HS kids who have been working with the Atlas Scientific sensors for a bit.

Peter Menningen

Dec 15, 2014, 11:24:31 PM12/15/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Ok so here it goes again  Here is what  we need  about a 50 X 50 ft  outside area with sunlight about 4-5 hrs a day, 120 VAC power 24 hrs, about 1-1/2 yds pea sized cinder for grow beds, Supply of water to refresh tanks Initial fill will be near 500 gal. Lengths of 3/4" to 1-1/2" dia PVC pipe,  Lumber and block to support growbeds, Manpower to dig sump pit. If system can be built into a slope  then the pit may not be needed. A source for fish and feed.

What  I brought along  2 ea 375 Gal IBC's one for FT one for sump  three other IBC's sliced for growbeds so that is about 6 beds 4' x 3-1/2 ft x 2' deep PVC fittings all sizes two pumps,  lots of soil gardening experience, frames to make raft beds  2' wide 5' long 2'deep  Lockable steel panel box 5' x 2-1/2' x 2'  some of the materials to build a hoop type greenhouse/ shade/wind cover need to purchase bend jig and connector fittings  Will make a 12 X 18 ft sized structure.

The monitoring and controls are the easy part of the project  they can be installed once the structure is in place and cycling we only need to design for the wiring and sensors when we construct the system.

cole santos

Dec 15, 2014, 11:52:55 PM12/15/14
to mauimakers

Don't need pea gravel, unless your doing ebb and flo. Don't really have space anywhere

Peter Menningen

Dec 16, 2014, 1:58:05 PM12/16/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Ok so this is a project waiting for a host or space     I have my equipment secured for the time  If there is a space volunteer that wants to garden using this method  I'll commit time  and my supplies for a share of the output.

Peter Menningen

cole santos

Dec 16, 2014, 2:51:36 PM12/16/14
to mauimakers

I've been looking for 5 years plus.

Laura Ulibarri

Dec 16, 2014, 6:43:39 PM12/16/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

We have a potential upcountry space that has confirmed interest. Are we ready to start discussion with them?

cole santos

Dec 16, 2014, 7:02:24 PM12/16/14
to mauimakers

No, not yet get a makerspace and give the navy grant a shot.

Apollo Grace

Dec 16, 2014, 8:07:49 PM12/16/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I've been a lurker here for a while...  and I have a friend, John Dobovan, who's an Aquaponics farmer up in Kula.
http://www.kulahaven.com/

He's a talented engineer himself, in terms of designing and building aquaponics systems, but circuits to monitor and control flow are outside his expertise.  I mentioned the sort of things people have been doing with Arduinos and aquaponics, and he says, "That’s exactly what I need: an automated system to monitor and control nitrite levels by releasing small amounts of ozone into the system."

So, if anyone wants to play with that system, and wind up with some fresh greens and trout, you can send him a note on his website.

-Apollo

Laura Ulibarri

Dec 20, 2014, 3:30:40 AM12/20/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

Tentative plan for field trip to Kula to scope out options Saturday 20 Dec at 1 pm.

Respond to this thread, or me if you are interested in looking at the place.

I'll send everyone who responds an email confirming time and location Sat AM.

Jerry Isdale

Dec 20, 2014, 3:40:05 AM12/20/14
to MauiMakers
I;m interested… not sure about saturday though.
drop me personal email to coordinate.

Jerry Isdale

Peter Menningen

Dec 20, 2014, 3:43:35 AM12/20/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Laura  Send me the address I'll make it

cole santos

Dec 20, 2014, 3:47:42 AM12/20/14
to mauimakers

Probably can't make it that early. But maybe

Jerry Isdale

Dec 20, 2014, 3:07:16 PM12/20/14
to MauiMakers

I'm also going to be busy till late afternoon.
One concern on an aquaponics setup is care taking on a daily basis. Someone needs to check on it daily and do basic review and status checks if not harvesting

- jerry isdale

sent from my phone, which may have added its own interpretation of what i typed or dictated. I apologize for any auto correct errors introduced by our robotic under lord.

Christopher Kasak

Dec 21, 2014, 2:01:49 AM12/21/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Could the roof and sides of the boxcar space work?

Peter Menningen

Dec 21, 2014, 1:42:34 PM12/21/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
By the boxcar do you mean the container or Conex Box (intermodal Container). A Boxcar is a railroad piece of hardware rolling stock not used much anymore for general shipments. Most goods are shipped on flatbeds with Conex, piggyback with trailers on them, or in specialty cars (tankers, hoppers,etc.)

Yes it could be used as a framework (support) for a vertical garden with the solar panels on the roof You could even place the fish tanks inside to provide shade for them (proper airflow -ventalation- would be required).  The container the group uses is Jerry's so modifications to that extent would require his permission.

The container would need to be located so it's long axis is east and west so the growing wall would be facing south.

Chris Yes I'm normally a stickler for detail Please do not take it in the wrong way It comes with working 41 yrs in a test facility.

Jerry Isdale

Dec 21, 2014, 2:39:04 PM12/21/14
to MauiMakers
Current 40’ container is full of stuff and needs to remain so until other storage is arranged.

Any garden needs to have a) full permission and recognition from landowners b) someones who will be looking after it on a daily basis.  The gardens at Puunene were done w/o permission and DoE had issues with much of it.  Water use and overflow is something to watch out for.  Kula is an uphill haul for many.

Jerry Isdale
i.e. Id Est LLC
isd...@gmail.com
808.573.7606
Haiku, HI

> --

Peter Menningen

Peter Menningen

Peter Menningen

Dec 21, 2014, 8:31:46 PM12/21/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Jerry I'm  not even suggesting that we use the current container in it's current location I was just replying to a post  thread.  There would be a lot of modifications that would need to be made if one were to use it for that purpose.  It could not be used for much else because of the water vapor from the tanks.

The Kula location has some promise both Cole and I are going to give some proposals after some research to Laura who is keeping control.  I'm looking into the costs of land prep for the location  that was decided to be most suitable. Cole is doing the actual system proposal.

There is a separate area for us to work in a demo or other type of project.

Jerry Isdale

Dec 26, 2014, 8:20:38 PM12/26/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I know several folks (especially Cole) have been dabbling in Aquaponics for a number of years.  Cole built a semi-functional floating raft system at the Pu'unene location.  I'd like to note there are a number of other groups doing aquaponics in Hawaii and on Maui. I've been following the "Friendly Aquaponics" folks on Big I for several years.  They have some nice designs with costings for 64, 128 and 512 sqft floating raft setups...

their recent newsletter has a photo series on a 512sqft system they built on BigI and shipped in 20ft container to Maui.  Where I dont know... but would be good to see it.

I have some of their plans for the tabletop and small scale systems... which include most of the backup material on aquaponics in general.

Note that Friendly Aquaponics does floating raft style systems. Some of their prior reports discussed the benefits and issues of this vs the ebb/flow methods.  I have not seen anything from them on vertical (biofilm) systems.

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Jerry Isdale <isd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Current 40’ container is full of stuff and needs to remain so until other storage is arranged.

Any garden needs to have a) full permission and recognition from landowners b) someones who will be looking after it on a daily basis.  The gardens at Puunene were done w/o permission and DoE had issues with much of it.  Water use and overflow is something to watch out for.  Kula is an uphill haul for many.

Jerry Isdale

>>> --
>>> Peter Menningen
>>>
>>> --

Peter Menningen

Peter Menningen

Peter Menningen

cole santos

Dec 26, 2014, 8:27:43 PM12/26/14
to mauimakers

I've been to friendly aquaponics, and spent a day with them. Also been to olomana gardens in Oahu. The plans are effectively useless each location is different needs etc what you need is a plumber and cash...ebb and flow is good for fruiting trees and big stuff, floating raft good for greens and taro, vertical is good when limited space, nutrient film just sucks for many reasons.

cole santos

Dec 26, 2014, 8:28:42 PM12/26/14
to mauimakers

The more I think about the Kula location the more I think it's just too far away