Re: [MauiMakers] Digest for mauimakers@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Peter Rosen

Jun 1, 2014, 5:06:52 PM6/1/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Is be interested in the RGB version of the 8 X 8 if that project ever manifests for a group build. Then we could stack em for a real programming challenge!

>>>---PR->

On Sunday, June 1, 2014, <mauim...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/mauimakers/topics

    Gabe <gabec...@gmail.com> May 31 10:46AM -0700

    LED cube sounds cool-- got more details on what ur making? Just curious :)

    Jerry Isdale <isd...@gmail.com> May 31 06:56PM -0700

    Gabe…

    The plan is to have students make a 4x4x4 led cube (single color I believe) and perhaps extend project to build 8x8x8 cube if successful with the first.

    These LED cubes will be arduino controlled so you can program various effects and displays. Wiring these is quite a good soldering exercise… and programming/artistic endeavor.

    Jerry Isdale
    isd...@gmail.com

    http://mauimakers.com
    http://spaceGAMBIT.org

    Opinions herein are mine and may not reflect those of other Maui Makers, hackers or humans in general. Please do not destroy Earth because of them.

--
MauiMacMan
Mac Computer Maintenance, Photography

Jerry Isdale

Jun 3, 2014, 11:52:33 AM6/3/14
to MauiMakers
RGB LEDs have four leads that make for much harder wiring.  Alternatively the NeoPixel and others are also 4 wire but instead of being discrete, two of the wires are used for serial communication allowing the LEDs to be chained and still individually addressed.  This makes MUCH simpler wiring and control.

RogerI...@aol.com

Jun 3, 2014, 4:33:30 PM6/3/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
So, it comes down to cost. What's the cost comparison?

Jerry Isdale

Jun 3, 2014, 4:37:36 PM6/3/14
to MauiMakers

Pure rgb leds are probably cheaper but there is  a very significant cost in complexity of wiring

- jerry isdale

sent from my phone, which may have added its own interpretation of what i typed or dictated. I apologize for any auto correct errors introduced by our robotic under lord.

cole santos

Jun 3, 2014, 4:38:55 PM6/3/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

The whole appeal is the aesthetic  quality of this thing with rgb the wires become ugly. Also the nanoleds are flat and would be ugly and hard to solder for a matrix

Jerry Isdale

Jun 3, 2014, 5:02:37 PM6/3/14
to MauiMakers

There are some decent 8x8x8 rgb led kits and how to out there

http://www.hownottoengineer.com/projects/rgb-led-cube.html

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2168940_-1

http://www.pyroelectro.com/projects/8x8x8_led_cube/

And coles favorite site...
http://aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-3d-led-cube.html

- jerry isdale

sent from my phone, which may have added its own interpretation of what i typed or dictated. I apologize for any auto correct errors introduced by our robotic under lord.

Laura Ulibarri

Jun 4, 2014, 1:19:01 AM6/4/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I have a few different styles of LEDs between my parts kit and Makers parts kit. Would be interesting to trade off build complexity vs aesthetics vs costs. Some folks have pushed to 32x32x32. The high school and college students are all over this, and already tinkering with the build instructions I gave them. If anyone has ideas, come join on Fridays or share some thoughts in this forum. The 4x4x4 is just the basic starter.

The next build will be a minimum of an 8x8x8 blue cube.