Quiet Tuesdays events (comments requested)

Peter Menningen

Dec 12, 2016, 11:33:37 AM12/12/16
to MauiMakers
On the new space Noisy / Quiet  schedule  all Tuesdays are scheduled to be quiet work periods. Definition so far is no floor mounted or hazardous tools in use in the space.
  • Our Menehune Program ( ages KG - 3rd)  has typically been held  every other Tuesday 5 PM to 6:30 PM evenings and will start up again in the beginning of the year (play with space toys and games)
We need to expand the programs to other areas of interest  for different age groups
some ideas that have been proposed are:
  • Take apart Tuesdays  a piece of mechanical or electronic stuff that is deemed worthless is taken apart by members to see how it is supposed to work and for parts (Hand tools only) Ages 3rd grade and older
  • Sewing and needle craft
  • Beading and Jewelry making ( assembly for start)
  • Model assembly and construction
  • Crafting
What we need is member volunteers to lead and take ownership and more ideas to fully utilize the new better Maui Makerspace.
There will be charges for the activities for non members ( first visit is free) We need to pay the rent and utilities.

Jerry Isdale

Dec 12, 2016, 10:06:48 PM12/12/16
to MauiMakers
We are also planning to move our Monthly Open Public Night to one of the Tuesdays. (has been 1st thursday)
This could easily coincide with some of the other topic, such as Take Apart Tuesday.

Our current rough schedule for other evening Special Interest Groups (SIG) is:
3D Wednesday - rotating 3d printing, cnc machines, cad, project builds
Electro Thursdays - rotating arduino, raspberry pi, linux, game programming, project builds, etc
Exact topics are dependent on who shows up regularly, expresses interest in ideas, etc

SIG meetings will be free to members and first one free to public.
After first SIG meeting, non-members are asked to contribute $10.00/person/night to help keep our doors open.

Peter Menningen

Dec 12, 2016, 10:36:28 PM12/12/16
to MauiMakers
Jerry there is no conflicts  Monthly public meeting would take precedence for its time slot.  We need to think outside the time slot "box" and not hold a whole day hostage for a "three hour Tour"   Public meetings normally start some time after 5:30 PM there is a whole day ahead of it for things like a Sewing Club or a kids after school activity.   To pay our rent we need to greatly expand our offerings and times.   We also need to find activities before the Wednesday and Thursday scheduled events  like from 2 PM to 5:30 PM

Mondays would make great shop activity day as it is noisy all day.