Rebuild and restore activity coming soon.

Peter Menningen

Jul 11, 2017, 1:25:57 AM7/11/17
to MauiMakers
I have acquired a 1 x42"  belt sander that is in urgent need of a lot of TLC.  Buck brought it into the space to see if we could fix the motor.  That was not possible so he said to scrap it.

A new motor would cost over $150 to get to Maui and there were a number of other parts that needed replacement  and they are obsolete  and  out of stock.  I was able to locate a used motor on Island that came to me at a reasonable price.   I have taken apart the main frame to determine which parts needed to be replace  or serviced.  I have since located components to rebuild the broken parts and  have them on order.

I have painted the tool  (nobody wants to watch paint dry)  I will have all  new fasteners

The event will be me explaining the process and discovery process as well as reassembling the tool  and demo on making some of the custom parts.

We will also discuss the   process of locating current parts for tools that are out of production.  (The new Band saw in the space.)

The event will be held on a Sunday afternoon  from 2 to 5 PM  I just don't know the date because all of the parts are not here.

I am also planning an a carpentry tool restore event  (wood planes, scrapers, chisels )  The Idea is to share the knowledge, work and then share the tools with the space to some extent.  Some of them are true antiques made by my father when he was an apprentice in Germany after the war.

Peter Menningen

Jul 19, 2017, 11:49:15 AM7/19/17
to MauiMakers
This event will be held Sunday  July 23,2017