Gathering data when Management does not give you a budget

Peter Menningen

Dec 1, 2015, 1:08:25 PM12/1/15
to MauiMakers
Back when I was working I  was given a project that was grossly underfunded by upper management  The jist of it was to document the vibration profile of front  loading washing machines because  we were getting complaints from the field. In order to amplify the signals a floor was built to the lowest span strength that was allowed by the standard building codes (BOCA) at the time Circa 2004. The floor materials and the plumbing modifications used up all of the budget for the project.  I still had to develop a repeatable data collection system with no budget allowed. I used a webcam that I had and a dashboard Hula dancer to capture the information. Once Management saw the video they funded me with the moneys to provide a new PC, acceleration equipment and sensors to capture RPM data of the Washer. I

If you have the guts and credibility you can turn a $10 sensor into a $20K system Don't try this if your Job is at risk This is about having FUN at work.

My apologies for grainy video  Sorry Groups would not  let me upload the video  I'll copy to USB
and if you come to the next talk story night I'll play or any weekend open hours time