Help Needed Controlling a Motor

RogerI...@aol.com

Jan 17, 2014, 4:56:19 PM1/17/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on buying a motor
Precision Gearmotor - main

which according to the information that comes with it can be controlled with this Precision Digital Speed Controller:

Speed Control hero shot

The controller is intended for use with a joystick or R/C controller, as shown in this partial wiring picture:

Precision Digital Speed Controller Diagram

But I need it to be controller by a Raspberry Pi. I'm assuming that the Raspberrry Pi will connect to that controller via the wires labeled "To Receiver or Conroller" and three I/O pins on the Pi. But then what? What do I need to do in the Pi software to actually accomplish the controlling of it? I need to control not just on/off, and not just forward/backward, but also the RPM.

Or is there some way to connect directly from the Pi to the motor, without using that intermediary controller at all?

Any advice or assistance will be appreciated.

- Roger Garrett

Jerry Isdale

Jan 17, 2014, 6:55:33 PM1/17/14
to MauiMakers

Without digging into Web Links I'd say that 3 wire connection looks like standard servo control from robotics.

- sent from my phone, which may have added its own interpretation of what i typed or dictated. I apologize for any auto correct errors introduced by our robotic under lord.

Wade Bortz

Jan 17, 2014, 11:39:03 PM1/17/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Jerry is right; you'll need to output a PWM signal from the Pi to the servo controller, which will then control the motor.  That controller is a bit overkill - it'll do 10 A, and that motor only needs 1A; having a bigger controller is safer, but 2A would be fine (and maybe cheaper).

Here's a link on doing controlling servos with a Pi.

Wade