Library Makerspace Bill - Submit Testimony!

Jerry Isdale

Feb 5, 2015, 10:14:10 PM2/5/15
to MauiMakers
(from Ryan Ozawa over on Oahu….)

A bill introduced in legislature would allocate $500,000 to fund makerspaces in public libraries through the state Department of Education:

http://www.hawaiitech.net/2015/02/06/library-makerspace-bill/

I'd encourage the maker community to make itself heard. With the first hearing on Monday, I'd submit testimony by midday tomorrow:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=1278&year=2015

You have to register for an account, but after that, expressing support can be as simple as typing your name, selecting the 'support' box, and hitting submit. Of course, a letter explaining your reasons and your background is helpful!

Jerry Isdale
i.e. Id Est LLC
isd...@gmail.com
808.573.7606
Haiku, HI

Brian Thomas

Feb 5, 2015, 10:45:04 PM2/5/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Let's get vocal here folks!!

Please each of you take two minutes to let them know there are people out there wanting this.

Ask any legislator, the squeeky wheel gets the funds..er..grease.

My testimony is below-use it if you want or fine tune or whatever but at least hit the SUPPORT button to submit testimony.

Thank you for allowing this chance to speak about something important to Hawaii's future. I have been involved with Maui Makers for the past four+ years.  The depth of smart and talented people that are involved in this organization is incredible.  These are people that are hobbyists, small business people, high tech entrepreneurs, retired/working high-tech industry people, scientists, programmers: all people who like to make things.

A makerspace provides the tools/machines/expertise to do that as well as the synergy of various skillsets each person brings.  Having a Makerspace involved with a library is a very valuable effort and one that can accomplish much including 1) provide people and kids of Hawaii an outlet for their brilliance and skills that can not be not found ANYWHERE else 2) give the libraries much needed RELEVANCE as those of us who love to learn seek to have the libraries THRIVE.

This is a great investment for the State of Hawaii, if not the BEST investment the state can make in it's productive peoples and the kid's who will develop real world, valuable and relative knowledge and skills.   For more info about Maui Makers, see this video that got 21k hits in over 121 countries in two days http://vimeo.com/36098424

Fair Winds Wealth Management

395 Dairy Rd. Suite C
Kahului, HI 96732
808-873-3247
888-310-1358 Fax
888-484-9473 Toll Free

www.fairwindswealth.com

Independent, fee based money management.

Securities and Investments offered through FSC Securities Corp.
Member FINRA, SIPC and SEC Registered Investment Advisor.
Insurance solutions through almost every industry leading firm.

Contact me: Skype brianthomasmaui

Jerry Isdale

Feb 6, 2015, 2:54:54 AM2/6/15
to MauiMakers
Excellent.. Thank you brian… that Self Made In Hawaii video was pretty cool and surprised the heck out of producers with its instant reach… Design Global, Build Local.

Jerry Isdale
i.e. Id Est LLC
isd...@gmail.com
808.573.7606
Haiku, HI

Apollo Grace

Feb 6, 2015, 12:51:05 PM2/6/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I'm on record!

---
This is one of the most important things we can do to enable residents
of Hawaii to participate in emerging economic opportunities. It gives
children and adults alike the ability to become creators, to learn and
practice turning ideas into real products and opportunities. It also
allows us to generate technologies and materials for other important
local industries, such as aquaponics.

This is the simplest possible way to make Hawaii a state known for its
inventors and entrepreneurs!
---

Thanks for the alert, Jerry!