Recycle/reuse for the group

Peter Menningen

Jan 23, 2015, 11:19:24 AM1/23/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
This is  for the Medicine Junkies and snack junkies  Save your larger pill bottles and Plastic snack (screw top) bottles  for hardware storage for the space  I'll explain at a sort event.  The sort event will be one of the first after the build out is almost done. or maybe before opening if the wire shelves and the circ tables are installed.

A big box of mixed screws and bolts does not cut it any more for me and that is not how a space should be run. so this space will not have one.
 If one wants  a #10 machine screw they should be able to see if we have one with least time wasted  the same goes for an electrical component.
We'll set up an equitable plan for sharing parts and supplies ( my excess purchase might save you a trip to the store) that is worth something.

Ideas thoughts replies requested

Jerry Isdale

Jan 23, 2015, 1:29:25 PM1/23/15
to MauiMakers
Heartily agree.  Pill bottles, yogurt tubs etc are great for small parts - and an essential piece of workbench when taking things apart (hopefully to re-assemble).  You put the small parts directly into a tub or jar - not on the bench or floor.  That keeps them from wandering away - and if you have to stop the job partway thru, you can put the top on, label it, and easily store the small parts with bigger ones.

We had a BIG BOX of mixed screws donated to us a few years back.  Fortunately I had already donated a 47 bin rolling rack from Harbor Freight:
   http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/bins-containers/floor-bin-rack-with-47-bins-95736.html
And we had a couple of those fantastic OCD folks at a meeting who dumped out the box, and sorted it into the bins.  I love OCD people.
That rack, still full of sorted bolts, screws, washers, nuts, etc, is in the container in Pu’unene.  Once we get the doors and locks installed, it will be one of the things needing to come over.

Jerry Isdale
i.e. Id Est LLC
isd...@gmail.com
808.573.7606
Haiku, HI

Peter Menningen

Jan 23, 2015, 1:39:46 PM1/23/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I'll explain the bins are great and are especially good to keep All of the same size together The pill bottles holds the individual items  One size screw, Nuts, washers, specialty nuts etc. so all of the 1/4" stuff is in one bin  that way it is far easier to find if you know what your looking for.  BTW my cntainer on the mainland rained on the inside and it did not leak throught the roof. I ruined many a lb of bolts in open bins because they filled with water. So now I use the screw top jars for all of my hardware parts.

Peter Menningen

Jerry Isdale

Jan 23, 2015, 2:27:56 PM1/23/15
to MauiMakers
understood.  pill bottles don’t hold much though so 50-100 washers, nuts bolts of same style needs a bin.. I have found those Costco/Kirkland mixed nut bottles with wide mouth and holding about a 1/2 gallon are pretty sweet.  Remove the label (add new one) and you can see whats inside too.

Our container doesn’t leak water - and it only rarely rains hard there in Puunene.  Big problem there has been the dust.  There is a thick layer of it on all the stuff that was left outside.  thinner layer on inside stuff.

Jerry Isdale
i.e. Id Est LLC
isd...@gmail.com
808.573.7606
Haiku, HI

Star A Simpson

Jan 23, 2015, 3:32:57 PM1/23/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Hey Maui Makers!

I often read this list though I don’t often email in as I’m usually hanging out in SF; I’m home on Maui — is there anything going on today or tomorrow, or will there be a good chance to drop by and say hi?

all the best,

*

Jerry Isdale

Jan 23, 2015, 3:49:06 PM1/23/15
to MauiMakers
WOOT!!! you with mom dad or other?
Your Mom’s place is about 1/4mile down Kapuai from me.
Nothing happening today (fryday) but we are doing work day Saturday… mostly cleaning up new space.

Jerry Isdale
i.e. Id Est LLC
isd...@gmail.com
808.573.7606
Haiku, HI

KaijiWare

Jan 23, 2015, 4:07:52 PM1/23/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Arduino today at 6pm in Kihei.

Ron

Peter Menningen

Jan 23, 2015, 9:42:16 PM1/23/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Here is today's update before I head to Arduino  this is as of about 1:30 PM

Duane was draining sprinkler system  Repairs will be made maybe by Monday Draining had multiple problems

Laura, Marg ( my wife) and I retrieved the pegboard we need for the build out about 6  -  4 X 4 ft sheets

I was at Habitat and they offered those mailboxes for free so I  took them and called Laura as she was driving to the space.

The boxes have some keys and we have the panel opening keys so we can exchange locks

The three sets and the pegboard will need to be carried up to the space tomorrow.

If Duane finished the job then we can start with the initial cleanup of that area.

we may want to line the door wall with Pegboard if we can get furring material

That supply in Kihei has dried up

Or maybe the entire room

I picked up the fasteners for the Maple top bench  I will do that installation

There needs to be a group trip with trucks to pick up the two other curved tables and some stuff from  the container. I'll bring the cables for the HDMI to the laptop so we can discuss their placement in the classroom

As for Jerry's concerns about no maintained power tools in the open they will not be  I am going to bring from Lahaina two locking job boxes which we will place in the window space at the end of the hallway these are professional grade and lockable with the locks hidden from tampering. when loaded too heavy to move with two people  we can have our sewing people make a couple of cushions and we have 2  --   5' benches  What goes into them willl be discussed before filling.

. It was mentioned last night that I should pick up a lock for the classroom door I forgot to measure the hole and setback I'll do that tomorrow  We will need to discuss key placement and holders.

Wayne said that he was going to complete the basic wiring of the shop space this afternoon so we may have power tomorrow.

Jerry Isdale

Jan 23, 2015, 10:13:43 PM1/23/15
to MauiMakers

You are aware we have no theft or damage insurance on equipment. At this time tools at the space are left at your own risk.
Otherwise  ok.

There are 3 more circular tables at container plus some benches and that really nice big silver tool chest.

- jerry isdale

sent from my phone, which may have added its own interpretation of what i typed or dictated. I apologize for any auto correct errors introduced by our robotic under lord.

Laura Ulibarri

Jan 23, 2015, 10:43:32 PM1/23/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
We'll be working on the new space Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm. Expect some hopping back and forth between the new space and Puunene. Drop by anytime. Preferably with work clothes and gloves.

Thinks are coming along nicely.