Our next soldering stations Survey please respond

Peter Menningen

Aug 20, 2015, 12:16:59 PM8/20/15
to MauiMakers
We are collecting  items that we would like to put on our donations request list so I put this question to you.

I would like to standardize for the future and replacement parts and serviceability as well as reliability is important.

 If you were given up to $150 to purchase a soldering station for your use which one (Make, Model ) would you by?  and Why?

PLEASE NOTE WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR HAND ME DOWN IRONS.  But if you have a working high end station we will take it.

Ross Mukai

Aug 20, 2015, 3:03:39 PM8/20/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Weller WLC100. $40 and I've been using it plus a hakko 808 for everything through-hole for eproms, 555s, pics, and such since forever. Never had a problem, never loosens up and rattles, tips last pretty much forever as long as you take care of it and tin it when you're done. When my hakko acts up I just use braid. For $150 you can get three wellers.

Jerry Isdale

Aug 20, 2015, 3:21:57 PM8/20/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Ross,
Do you mean the Hakko 808 desoldering tool (http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?PID=838&Page=1) or  the Hakko 888 soldering station (http://www.hakkousa.com/products.asp?CID=49,351) ?  The 888 is a staple of makerspaces. but at roughly $100 is more expensive than the Weller.  All the 808 listings on Amazon come up Currently Unavailable.

I just got a couple of the Hakko FX-901 cordless irons to try out as field units.  I like their portability and so far have worked ok (little testing)

We have several of the WLC100 and these seem to be pretty good base units, which can power most AC plug irons.  We have had some iron failures, but that may be due to misuse (people and/or storage).  Tips for these are easy to get.

In addition to the irons we should have:
 * rolls of solder  (Lead based is fine for people that don’t eat it.  LeadFree requires higher temps, etc)
 * rolls of Solder wicks (braided copper wire to suck up solder)
 * Solder Suckers - hand operated vacuums to remove solder
 * solder picks - pointy things to poke holes

Third hands are nice.  I like the board holder style from Panavise (http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-Model-Junior-Miniature-Vise/dp/B000B61D22/)   there is a wonderful Big Nob for it that makes turning fast and easy - 3d printable if you don’t want to buy theirs (http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-239-Speed-Control-Handle-201/dp/B008O5L0NO

Desoldering irons are useful but I’ve done quite well with just wick and sucker… does require 3-5 hands sometimes.  A couple specialty irons would be good … http://www.amazon.com/ECG-J-045-DS-Watt-Desoldering-Iron/dp/B00068IJSG

There should be a strong delineation between Electronic Soldering and Mechanical/Plumbing Soldering.  The later often uses acid core flux which will destroy circuit boards.  Once an iron is used with it, that iron should never be used for electronics.  Buy different ones, keep them separate and marked as to type.

--
Jerry Isdale
Sent with Airmail

Peter Menningen

Aug 20, 2015, 3:27:38 PM8/20/15
to MauiMakers
Ross we have four Weller WLC100  units and the base for the fifth Iron has gone missing.  Personally I have a Weller WD1 but that is because I like the very short had to tip length and the very fast switching of the tip profile  Having three temps to select (custom) I can set a very low standby temp to keep it warm and a higher temp for desoldering.  I can also have tips just for Lead or non lead solder

Peter Menningen

Aug 20, 2015, 3:36:51 PM8/20/15
to MauiMakers
Jerry all good points  For Plumbing soldering/Sheet metal  40 w tips are never enough too much heat sinkin the pipe metal. Should be taught using the proper tool a propane torch not an iron.  This post was to get an Idea on what is being used out there by members.  Not what to add for consumables in a Kit. Consumables should be addressed by the user and paid that way or added to the class cost and provided for the class.

This is because if I'm doing raw wiring I'll use one diameter/flux/mixture and it will be different if I'm attaching a 40 pin header to a PC board  way finer  diameter, easy to clean flux, and a different mixture ratio and maybe even unleaded.  Stockpiling all of the various combinations and handing out is not cost effective as solder is about or more expensive than 3D filliment by weight

Ross Mukai

Aug 20, 2015, 4:42:07 PM8/20/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I really like that WLC base. I have zero complaints about it.

Yes, hakko 808 desoldering gun for reworking boards. I used to do a LOT of eprom work socketing GM and Honda ECUs. Braid works just as well, but I was using way too much of it so the gun was an improvement.

To me, click pump suckers are almost completely useless.

Can never have enough picks and spudgers.

I would save the money on fancy irons and spend it on panavises, ottlite true daylight lamps, USB microscopes, and fume extraction. Soldering fumes aren't particularly dangerous but the perception that they are is strong.

GC Electronics liquid flux is extremely helpful. It really helps solder flow and stick. Comes in a big nail polish looking bottle. Wipes off with brakleen when you're done.

Push down pump bottle for dispensing alcohol is also very helpful.

Peter Menningen

Aug 20, 2015, 6:10:58 PM8/20/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
It's all in the mix  we have at least one Panavise and three other third hands Our room benches are too narrow for much in the way of bench supported lighting  or magnification I was overruled on the design  More desks less depth of desk. Unless I do large hose drop fume collection same problem in current space but room has window to the ocean Room has only 7 spaces for seats

Have the GC flux been using it for 20 years, also have pump bottles in my kit.

Peter Menningen
Sent from my Laptop in Haiku

Jerry Isdale

Aug 20, 2015, 6:52:15 PM8/20/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Box fans from old PCs can be used to suck fumes away.
Here’s an instructable to make one powered from USB (5vdc)   http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-USB-Fume-Extractor/

I found a nice commercial one but can’t find link to it today.
Note that these only move fumes away from immediate area and do not vent outside/elsewhere.

--
Jerry Isdale
Sent with Airmail

Peter Menningen

Aug 20, 2015, 7:27:36 PM8/20/15
to MauiMakers
Jerry this was supposed to be a simple one question survey  Just about soldering stations. I'm a volunteer that just has been dumped on witth extra work any free time I had to build now has been taken up by two other important tasks.  I now don't have the time to do projects that I want to do much less take apart computers to build cheap air circulators

Jerry Isdale

Aug 20, 2015, 7:42:01 PM8/20/15
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
I understand… the question of exhaust fans came up (i think) and it is relevant to soldering stations, so I provided some info I think we need.  Just put it on the Gee-We-Would-Like-To-Have/Do list

If we chose to buy/get donated some of these of larger systems; or have a build day to build a few is something TBD.

--
Jerry Isdale
Sent with Airmail

Ross Mukai