Interest in Dremel build night workshop?

Jerry Isdale

Jun 3, 2014, 11:43:20 AM6/3/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
Instructables.com has been hosting a series of Build Night workshops where they send out equipment to makerspaces with the expectation you will create a couple Instructable build documentations using it.  This coming month its the Dremel.   We could get $1000 worth of dremel tools and materials, for which we would have to host a build and create (at least) two Instructables....

package that includes:We will only be sending the list of tools above. You are responsible for providing materials to use with the tools.

Is there interest from the community?  If you would like to participate (building, documenting, etc) speak up and we can get signed up!

cole santos

Jun 3, 2014, 1:00:13 PM6/3/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

Epic

Jerry Isdale

Jun 4, 2014, 4:30:47 PM6/4/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
To make this work, we need a few people to agree to show up and build some things.  We might try putting the dremel into our Shapeoko and documenting that.  Then perhaps using that combination to do some glass etching.

cole santos

Jun 4, 2014, 4:40:49 PM6/4/14
to mauimakers
So its a dremel with sanding and cutting and a oscillating tool.

Project #1 Hawaiian petroglyphs on stones. We take a sharpie and draw petroglyphs on the rocks. Then we use a bit to grind out the rock.

Project #2 Grinding with same methods on terracotta pots.

Project #3 Cutting disks may work on bottles if you use a stream of water......

Project #4 Oscillating tool can be used on concrete/tile/etc to create a non slip surface

Project #5 We could pour pater onto the dremel blade to create aeroponics........

Brian Thomas

Jun 4, 2014, 5:04:28 PM6/4/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
So Jerry sign us up.  Cole and I are in and anyone else is welcome to join.

Maybe our first build can be a sign that says: "will make Instructable(s) for tools" haha.

Jerry Isdale

Jun 4, 2014, 5:53:56 PM6/4/14
to MauiMakers

Need some links to pics of builds and instructables. I guess HAESH would be great for thst.

- jerry isdale

sent from my phone, which may have added its own interpretation of what i typed or dictated. I apologize for any auto correct errors introduced by our robotic under lord.

Kaiju Ware

Jun 4, 2014, 6:32:38 PM6/4/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com

It would be cool to possibly use a combination of tools to create tech fashion or tech art pieces, possibly in conjuction with some arduinos, from unwanted or dated computer parts and sell/auction them online for team profit/charity. Just a thought, not much skill on my end. I used to use a  dremel for fine grained grinding/smoothing/polishing.

Ron

Jerry Isdale

Jun 4, 2014, 6:39:15 PM6/4/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com, brian....@btmaui.com
Submitted!   Now we wait to see if we were selected.
Aside from the HAESH instructables, I submitted a few of our blog posts... LED and Motors from a couple weeks ago, Laser Etched Moc's, community garden builds, Sparkfun Class and as an extra bit to show we know who they are ....

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:43:20 AM UTC-4, Jerry Isdale wrote:
Instructables.com has been hosting a series of Build Night workshops where they send out equipment to makerspaces with the expectation you will create a couple Instructable build documentations using it.  This coming month its the Dremel.   We could get $1000 worth of dremel tools and materials, for which we would have to host a build and create (at least) two Instructables....

package that includes:We will only be sending the list of tools above. You are responsible for providing materials to use with the tools.

Is there interest from the community?  If you would like to participate (building, documenting, etc) speak up and we can get signed up!

Jerry Isdale

Jun 12, 2014, 2:35:35 PM6/12/14
to mauim...@googlegroups.com
We have been selected.
Dremels should be shipped out Real Soon Now (RSN).
When I get confirmation and/or receive them, we will schedule a build night.

Whose up for helping with the Documentation and Instructables creation?
This would be someones who would be photoshooting the build event and projects while they are under construction, and editing them into at least 2 instructables.
These someones would NOT be building/using the dremels that night. Their job is to bet instructables done to insure we can participate in more Build Nights