Is it possible to reduce the Memory using by MathJax 2.3

grigorii...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2015, 12:15:13 PM4/19/15
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Dear support team.

We installed MathJax v2.3 to the Joomla 2.5.28. There are no other plugin exept Akeeba Beckup and Xmap on the site.
Everything is fine, but when the traffic reached to 20 000 hosts per a day, the site begin to use to mach memory (more than 1 Gb), and the site begin to slow down.
So the question: is it possible to change the setting of MathJax to reduce the memory usage?

Thanks a lot!

Davide P. Cervone

Apr 21, 2015, 1:30:53 PM4/21/15
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
This sounds more like a server configuration issue, not a MathJax issue.  You need to balance the number of child processes started by your server to respond to incoming requests agains the amount of memory that you have available (and 1GB is terribly small for an active server). How you do that depends on the server software you are using.

Since MathJax itself runs on the client, not the server, the only impact MathJax has on your server is the requests it makes for the files that it needs (like its various components, its fonts, and so on).  If you are not using a combined configuration file (e.g., "MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML" in the URL for MathJax), then you might consider doing that, as that will reduce the number of files that MathJax needs to request.  If your configuration loads extensions that are not commonly used, you might be able to remove them and use the autoload extension to cause them to be loaded only when needed.  The only other thing I can think go would be to call on MathJax from the MathJax CDN rather than serve your own copy.

Davide

Grigorii Andreev

Dec 20, 2015, 6:48:15 AM12/20/15
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Dear Devid.

Our mathematics site use MathJax 2.3 about 2 years. It works fine and we are going to use it further. But there is one trouble. It does not show the math formulas in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
That is very inconvinient for us. May you advise us how to fix it?

Best regards
Grigorii Andreev

Mr. Grigorii Andreev
CEO of "Integral" LLC
Owner of e-shop "Integral"
43 Lensoveta street, building 3, office 99
Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 196143
Tel. +7-906-3841843
E-mail: grigorii...@gmail.com
Site: http://mathematics-tests.com

William F Hammond

Dec 20, 2015, 11:58:13 AM12/20/15
to mathja...@googlegroups.com

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 3:48 AM, Grigorii Andreev <grigorii...@gmail.com> wrote:
But there is one trouble. It does not show the math formulas in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

Peter Krautzberger

Dec 21, 2015, 4:10:47 AM12/21/15
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Dear Grigorii,

The  site is trying to load a combined configuration file (ending on CHTML) that is only available in MathJax v2.6-beta, but the site is loading MathJax v2.5. You either need to change the configuration file or switch to beta.mathjax.org/.... to load v2.6-beta.

The erratic behavior is due to there being another inline configuration block after MathJax.js is loaded which specifies the HTML-CSS output; depending on the browser parsing of the page, MathJax may or may not see that configuration block.

Regards,
Peter.

Grigorii Andreev

Dec 21, 2015, 7:02:48 AM12/21/15
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hello, William.
Thanks for advice. It helps me. Now maths formulas are correctly displayed in all brousers.

Best regards
Grigorii

Grigorii Andreev

Dec 29, 2015, 3:26:02 AM12/29/15
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Dear support team.

We have another important question.
The Mathjax v.2.5 works good with 2.5.28 Joomla CMS.
We planning to start the math forum, which supporting the math formulas. Because the comments to some our math articsles exeed 100 comments!
So what solution do you recomended us? For examle phpBB or Joomla 3.4 (preferrable for us) with Kunena forum with mathjax supporting?

Thank you for advise.