Scheme relative URL for MathJax

Scott Morrison

Mar 4, 2014, 6:19:02 PM3/4/14
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
MathJax is available from the CDN via an https URL, at <https://c328740.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js>. Unfortunately however the corresponding http URL <http://c328740.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js> gives an error message.

Is there a way to load MathJax from the CDN in a scheme independent way?

Peter Krautzberger

Mar 5, 2014, 2:10:44 PM3/5/14
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

No, there is currently no way. However we're testing a different CDN provider right now; if we switch, a side effect would be a more consistent address.

Peter.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM, Scott Morrison <scott.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
MathJax is available from the CDN via an https URL, at <https://c328740.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js>. Unfortunately however the corresponding http URL <http://c328740.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js> gives an error message.

Is there a way to load MathJax from the CDN in a scheme independent way?

Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin

Mar 10, 2014, 5:52:20 AM3/10/14
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
That would necessitate a change in the HTTPS address, right?
How long do you plan to keep the rackcdn address working (if you do the change)?

I'm asking to understand whether using the https address would be a good idea for static HTML generation, e.g. using pandoc.
On one hand, html files with an https url are more versatile - they can be served over both http and https without "insecure content" errors.  OTOH, the pretty address has a higher chance of working 20 years from now.
Until this message I was trusting the docs' claim the ugly https address is "stable and safe to use" but perhaps "safe to use in maintained sites, we'll give you a few years warning" is not exactly the same "safe to use in unmaintained static html"?

Peter Krautzberger

Mar 17, 2014, 6:43:34 PM3/17/14
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hi Beni,

There are no specific plans yet. We will probably keep the old CDN online for 6-12 months, likely longer (last time we switched we turned the old address off only after there was virtually no traffic anymore).

That being said, naturally, we cannot promise that the CDN (in any form) will be around forever.

If you're working with content you want to use long term, I would suggest to either keep a local installation as fallback to the CDN or load MathJax via a separate script

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Krautzberger