Defining command with both math and text yields boldfaced typesetting

p...@dirac.org

Jun 25, 2016, 11:51:21 AM6/25/16
to MathJax Users
Newbie here.  When writing a document about sigma algebras, it's a drag having to write $\sigma$-algebra each and every time.  I tried to create a new command via:

\newcommand{\sig}{\sigma\hbox{-algebra}}

And this does the trick, mostly.  It looks like the word "-algebra" is boldfaced.  Like this:

I can probably use php to do what I want, but I'm curious -- how would I typeset \sig without the boldface font?  I'd prefer no boldface at all, although a boldfaced \sigma and a normal weight for "-algebra" would also be OK.

Thanks!

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

William F Hammond

Jun 25, 2016, 2:11:49 PM6/25/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 8:51 AM, <p...@dirac.org> wrote:
...  When writing a document about sigma algebras, it's a drag having to write $\sigma$-algebra each and every time. ...

The term σ-algebra is mathematical jargon but is not in any usual sense a mathematical expression, so it would be an "abuse" to set it with either MathML or MathJax.  In HTML the normal Greek σ is available as U+03C3, and also unicode plane 1 provides what is called "mathematical italic small sigma" (but it's just a character) as U+1D70E, which
yields "𝜎-algebra".

Peter Krautzberger

Jun 27, 2016, 4:17:33 AM6/27/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It's virtually impossible to say much from a screenshot -- a live example is really the only way.

Still, it looks like the math font is not actually boldface -- the typface simply differs a lot from your surrounding text's typeface. Since you put "algebra" in a text box, you can use MathJax's mtextFontInherit option to have text elements inherit the surrounding text font.

If you need more help from the community, be sure to check out our MathJax User Group guidelines.

Regards,
Peter.