Looking for assistance with STIX fonts on site using CDN-hosted MathJax

Chris Hornberger

Feb 2, 2016, 6:31:11 PM2/2/16
to MathJax Users
Running a site using CDN-hosted MathJax @ mathjax.org ( src="https://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML" )

Some of the users want to use STIX geometric symbols, and I'm not quite sure how to get it working.

Much of what I've read suggests it should just work, but as one example, adding "\bigstar" (again, as just one inane example) doesn't render, and just prints the name out like any other text value.

I'm the coder on the site, but I have zero experience with MathJax other than dropping in the script tag for the users to use basic TeX language (which works fine).

As a side note, I set up the site using the direct stix web fonts, but the users aren't keen on using the unicode codes embedded, nor are those codes readily found in the stix documentation. They all fall back to the backslash-name value for MathJax to render.

I'm a little stumped at this point.

Much thanks!

Peter Krautzberger

Feb 3, 2016, 4:04:01 AM2/3/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

As always, it would be best to provide a link to a live page exhibiting the problem

Some of the users want to use STIX geometric symbols, and I'm not quite sure how to get it working.
> [...]
I set up the site using the direct stix web fonts, but the users aren't keen on using the unicode codes embedded, nor are those codes readily found in the stix documentation. They all fall back to the backslash-name value for MathJax to render.

It might help to list which symbols this is about (probably thisthis?) but more importantly which TeX macros your users are expecting to use. LaTeX macro packages usually need to be re-implemented as MathJax extensions though macros for just Unicode/characters are easily done if you know what to name macros.

adding "\bigstar" (again, as just one inane example) doesn't render, and just prints the name out like any other text value.

This particular macro is supported actually; it requires the AMS extension which is loaded in all combined configurations (try it here) so if you use a combined configuration and this doesn't work, something is broken. Without a live page exhibiting the problem, there's not much to say though.

Regards,
Peter.

Chris Hornberger

Feb 3, 2016, 10:02:10 AM2/3/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate the assistance. Unfortunately, it's not a public-facing
site; it's an internal tool for building curriculum and lesson plans.

I admit to being just a little out of my depth with the MathJax & STIX stuff.

Some of the macros being asked for are things like \parallelogram and
such (which doesn't render in the example you gave, where others, I
suppose in the normal fonts, do work ok.

Essentially, they want the entire table 372 (pg. 145) "STIX geometric
shapes" of this doc -
http://ctan.math.washington.edu/tex-archive/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-letter.pdf

I think my issue may be that I just can't find a good guide for the
config settings on my script tag, perhaps...? Something very simple
like "If you need this feature/font, use [this] setting." The docs are
rich, but assume a more intimate knowledge of MathJax & TeX, et al, I
believe.

I'm hoping that's the issue; just some decent guidance on my setup parms.

In short... how do I ensure STIX fonts are in use?

The parm I *was* using before the STIX request came up was:
src="https://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML"

Thanks very much!

-----------------------------------

Chris Hornberger
chorn...@edtell.com
(215)392-6823 x1003

Peter Krautzberger

Feb 3, 2016, 10:24:43 AM2/3/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

 it's not a public-facing site; it's an internal tool for building curriculum and lesson plans.

You don't have to share the site. A demo, e.g., on jsbin, codepen etc is usually better

Essentially, they want the entire table 372 (pg. 145) "STIX geometric shapes"

That page describes macros from the LaTeX package "stix" which is not yet supported.

I think my issue may be that I just can't find a good guide for the config settings on my script tag,

That's not the problem. As I wrote earlier, LaTeX packages need to be re-implemented as MathJax extensions. In this case, it's easy but tedious work. This particular package is not on our roadmap but contributions are always welcome. I've opened https://github.com/mathjax/MathJax/issues/1371 if anyone wants to contribute. For the basics, see http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/tex.html#defining-tex-macros and http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/tex.html#unicode-support.

Regards,
Peter.

Chris Hornberger

Feb 3, 2016, 11:00:01 AM2/3/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Well, that's the answer. The confirmation is what I couldn't find.

Thanks.

Chris Hornberger
chorn...@edtell.com
(215)392-6823 x1003

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Peter Krautzberger