Aural rendering text without the menu

matias....@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 7:00:36 AM12/5/16
to MathJax Users
Hi there

I'd like to use the aural rendering text made available by MathJax 2.7 to provide additional input for full-text search index the equation contents in my scientific writing app Manuscripts (http://manuscriptsapp.com), and to potentially present equations with no captions in the UI in the outline offered in the app with that aural rendering friendly text (see the blank "Equation" placeholders in the example screenshot to get an idea of why I'm looking to do this). I wonder if you think a) sounds sane and b) is possible with MathJax?

The documentation I found regarding the aural rendering involves configuring the app with the accessibility menu and accessing it that route. I actually use MathJax in a completely headless web view where I've got the menu turned off. Is the text for aural rendering available through some API I could call in such a context? What I'm looking to do is TeX -> as plain and readable text as possible, basically. Other ways of accomplishing the same very welcome too.

Matias
example-screenshot.jpg

Peter Krautzberger

Dec 5, 2016, 7:09:17 AM12/5/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matias,

 I wonder if you think a) sounds sane and b) is possible with MathJax?

For b)

 Is the text for aural rendering available through some API I could call in such a context?

If you configure the extension to generate speech (cf. https://github.com/mathjax/MathJax-a11y/tree/master/docs#configuration-and-use), then you could grab the aria-label or aria-labeldby from the DOM.

But you might want to separate the visual from the aural rendering and just generate some MathML to feed into speech-rule-engine.

For a), hard to say. I think you might have trouble with performance. While there will be significant upcoming improvements, SRE is still quite performance heavy (even compared to MathJax). But if you cache well and only have a few equations to render at once, it might be fine.

Best,
Peter.