MathJax do not support these symbol!!

davik...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2015, 11:01:57 AM9/7/15
to MathJax Users
MathJax do not support these symbol. Could you support for these symbol, please?
\Alpha
\backcong
\Beta
\bighat
\Chi
\dag
\ddag
\doubleprime
\Epsilon
\equals
\Eta
\geneuro
\geneuronarrow
\geneuronarrow
\hexagon
\hexagon
\Iota
\Kappa
\largecircle
\largediamond
\largesquare
\largetriangleup
\lcurvearrowse
\medcircle
\medtriangleleft
\medtriangleright
\Mu
\neleft
\neswarrow
\notequiv
\notequiv
\notni
\notsmallin
\Nu
\nupdownline
\nwsearrow
\Omicron
\P
\pentagon
\pentagon
\pounds
\rcurvearrowne
\rcurvearrowse
\Rho
\rightangle
\squaredots
\Tau
\textasciitilde
\textquotedblleft
\textquotedblright
\textquoteleft
\textquoteright
\tripleprime
\udots
\upVdash
\varangle
\varparallel
\Zeta

jordanc...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2015, 12:21:21 AM9/8/15
to MathJax Users, davik...@gmail.com
The capital Greek letters here are indistinguishable from capital Roman A, B, X, E, H, K, M, N, O, P, T, Z.

Some of these commands are from the MnSymbol package, the documentation of which says it is not compatible with AMSsymbols, which MathJax supports. Not sure if that would be a problem for getting MathJax to support  MnSymbol.

It might help to run through this list and note which package these commands come from. They are not standard, so it's not obvious what each one means.

洪大智

Sep 8, 2015, 3:22:44 AM9/8/15
to jordanc...@gmail.com, MathJax Users

It comes from mathmagic. The maker of Microsoft Office Word equation.
And the list comes from their site.
http://www.mathmagic.com/support/LaTeX_Symbol_Names_supported_by_MathMagic.txt

洪大智

Sep 8, 2015, 9:57:14 PM9/8/15
to jordanc...@gmail.com, MathJax Users

But AMS symbols are important for math expression. Could you add those special symbols?

jordanc...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2015, 12:27:38 AM9/9/15
to MathJax Users, jordanc...@gmail.com, davik...@gmail.com
AMS symbols are already supported by MathJax. I was saying that at least some of your symbols are MnSymbol, which in actual LaTeX clashes with AMS symbols. Of course, that may be irrelevant for bringing them into MathJax. I also wanted to point out that a lot of the symbols in your list are already there, just by another name (like "A" instead of "\Alpha").

In any case, I can't add these. I'm just another MathJax user commenting on your post, not a MathJax developer or even a MathJax extension developer.

洪大智

Sep 9, 2015, 12:29:34 AM9/9/15
to jordanc...@gmail.com, MathJax Users

Ok! Thank you very much!:)

David Farmer

Sep 9, 2015, 6:01:56 AM9/9/15
to MathJax Users

You can just add macros for those symbols at the top of your document.

A bit of work to set that up the first time, and then almost no additional
work to re-use it later. This has the added advantage that if there
is a clash with an AMS symbol, you will have the MnSymbol version, while
the official version of MathJax will have the AMS version that most people
probably prefer.

You could even make your macros available to other people.

Peter Krautzberger

Feb 5, 2016, 6:14:59 AM2/5/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

[this draft was never sent out -- sorry. Hope it adds some context.]

Thanks and +1 on the comments from Alex and David.

Since the original question asked about core MathJax supporting such macros, I thought I might summarize the situation.

1) As mentioned, anyone can define their own sets of macros.

MathJax is not TeX/LaTeX so there are limits for writing macros but basically there are two ways:

First, in a custom MathJax configuration (easier for re-use, the "syntax" is different, you can access MathJax internals more easily, even use JavaScript to re-implement any macro).

Second, in the page using \(re)newcommand, \def etc (caveat: need to be wrapped in delimiters, not as powerful but more convenient).

2) If you have a stable set of macros where you think others might benefit from, there are a couple of options to share them.

First, you can just post your code somewhere and spread the word.

Second, you can make a pull request to add it to the MathJax Third Party Extension repository. This is mirrored on the MathJax CDN so people might find it easier to integrate it.

3) If you think your macros are so awesome, they should be in the core, here are some suggestions.

First, make a pull request to the Third Party Repository -- that's where it will definitely fit.

Second, we favor backward compatibility with TeX/LaTeX. So try to align your set of macros with existing TeX/LaTeX packages.

Third, we strongly prefer macros in the MathJax core repository that can be supported with the default MathJax TeX fonts (derived from Computer Modern).  For example, many macros listed in the original posting seem can be implemented by mapping them to Unicode points. However, those Unicode points will largely not be supported by our fonts.  Still, if you have a convincing case, we're always happy to discuss this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Peter.