Calc, fp or sage

jessen...@googlemail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 9:42:00 AM3/20/16
to MathJax Users
Hallo, I am a teacher from Germany and using MathJax for a quiz for my pupil.
I want to write something like this $3+5 = /calc{3+5}$
With pdflatex is the Output 3+5=8. I can either use calc, fp or sage. Works fine.
Is there any Solution with MathJax or Latex2HTML5?
Kind regreats
Holger Jessen-Thiesen

Peter Krautzberger

Mar 21, 2016, 5:54:04 AM3/21/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hi Holger,

There is no built-in extension for this. It should be easy enough to cook something up using JavaScript's built-in methods (or MathJS if you need something more powerful) but it could easily have security implications.

To get started with extension writing, check http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/advanced/extension-writing.html.

Regards,
Peter.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 21, 2016, 8:49:35 AM3/21/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Here's something I've whipped up - https://cdn.rawgit.com/christianp/mathjax-extension-eval/master/index.html. It uses the LissaJS library, a standalone computer algebra package.

Writing maths questions quickly gets complicated, so rather than starting from scratch yourself you might like to use Numbas, an e-assessment system which LissaJS is based on and for which I'm the lead developer: www.numbas.org.uk

Peter - would it be worth putting this in the third-party extensions repository? I'm not sure what the implications would be of inlining a rather big library in the extension file.

Peter Krautzberger

Mar 21, 2016, 5:07:17 PM3/21/16
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Here's something I've whipped up - https://cdn.rawgit.com/christianp/mathjax-extension-eval/master/index.html. It uses the LissaJS library, a standalone computer algebra package.

Sweet! Sorry for forgetting LissaJS!

Peter - would it be worth putting this in the third-party extensions repository? I'm not sure what the implications would be of inlining a rather big library in the extension file.

I think it would fit Yes, it's a large dependency but there are other extensions of that size (xyjax for example).

Thanks again for this!
Peter.

jessen...@googlemail.com

Mar 22, 2016, 2:56:53 PM3/22/16
to MathJax Users
Thanks to your response. It seems to be perfect.
Greinte from Germany
Holger Jessen-Thiesen