Experiencing a problem in an <ol> list

David Arnold

Jan 24, 2016, 11:25:27 PM1/24/16
to MathJax Users
<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>MathJax TeX Test Page</title>
<script type="text/x-mathjax-config">
  MathJax.Hub.Config({tex2jax: {inlineMath: [['$','$'], ['\\(','\\)']]}});
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" async
</script>
</head>

<ul>
<li>Page 122, perform each of the following tasks for exercises #7 and 8:
<ol>
<li>Using pencil and paper, write the inequalities in the form $L-\epsilon<2$</li>
<li>Using pencil and paper, write the inequalities in the form $L-\epsilon<f(x)$</li>
</ol></li>
</ul></li>

This code gives me this picture.

What is happening when I replace 2 with f(x)?

Murray

Jan 25, 2016, 2:21:33 AM1/25/16
to MathJax Users
Hello David

Your issue will be solved if you put a space between your < and the "f" of f(x) so it's $L-\epsilon< f(x)$

MathJax handled the first one OK because the less than sign was followed by a number. But in the second case, there is uncertainty about whether you want "less than" or the beginning of a HTML tag <f> ....

See under the heading "TeX and LaTeX in HTML documents" on the page http://mathjax.readthedocs.org/en/v2.6-latest/tex.html

regards
Murray

David Farmer

Jan 25, 2016, 6:23:59 AM1/25/16
to MathJax Users

The "less than" sign is dangerous because it looks like the
start of an HTML tag. Put a space after the "<" in all cases,
and it will work fine. (In the case of "less than 2", your browser
knows it isn't a tag because tag names start with letters.
"Less than f" looks like the start of an "f" tag.)

Or use the macros \lt and \gt instead of < and >. Those macros
are included with MathJax.

Regards,

David