Migrating Math Future to Answer Hub

Maria Droujkova

Mar 16, 2014, 9:16:33 AM3/16/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have started migrating this group, and its sister groups Math Game Design and Natural Math, to the Answer Hub platform. The new platform is similar to Quora and StackExchange, but more powerful. It will still integrate with email nicely, but it will do much more.

The main reasons:
  1. SUBSPACES. You will be able to follow, or unfollow, themes or conversations. In Google Groups, you can't subscribe or unsubscribe to individual conversations. We have several small but passionate "circles" talking shop about their themes, with everybody else neither participating nor being able to unsub from that thread. As a result, people unsub from the whole group.
  2. MATH FUTURE EVENT INTEGRATION. I am preparing to renew the series of Math Future events, after its hiatus. The new platform will allow to gather questions to our event guests ahead of the event time, right by the event's description. Moreover, this object (description and questions) will be linkable and embeddable in blogs, pages, and wikis.
  3. CURATING POWER. The new platform will have several powerful curating tools. In particular, tags and categories help to sort the discussions. There will be three types of objects. It has regular discussion threads (much like those on Google Groups). Then Ideation - with tools for group brainstorming of projects or ideas, which many of us can use. And then Articles - which are like wiki pages, but with the option of inviting everyone to edit, or just a few people, or just the author.
  4. OPEN AND SHAREABLE. It will be much easier to invite friends and colleagues to contribute their thoughts to just one conversation, without having to subscribe to the group. It will be easy to share a brainstorm, a discussion, or an article on all social media. It will be easier for bloggers, journalists, or site builders to quote, and link to, the good content we produce. All conversations will be more open: shareable, linkable, and embeddable.
You can see the current version of the platform here: http://ask.moebiusnoodles.com/index.html

My tech people are testing the features listed above on a closed server. I will let everyone know when we have open beta testing.

Meanwhile, I want to discuss what subspaces to create at the beginning. Here is a very preliminary list:

- Computer-based mathematics, programming
- Young math adventures (kids under 7)
- Math game design
- Math Future events
- General math ed (everything else)

What do you think?

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova

S. Ali Ghasempouri

Mar 16, 2014, 10:01:47 AM3/16/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Thank-you for migrating this group to the Answer Hub platform. We really need it!
I like subspaces list :)

Best Regards,
Ali.

Julia Brodsky

Mar 16, 2014, 2:08:14 PM3/16/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
More subspaces suggestions:
Problem-solving
Math cognition
World-wide math news and resources

kirby urner

Mar 16, 2014, 2:37:00 PM3/16/14
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

I like #mathfuture and/or #futuremath or something similar as tags going
forward as I find my thinking is more interesting when I think about
mathematics and its teaching / learning as morphing along a time axis,
not freezing into a set way.

The "ask Dr Math" Q&A format has its place but shuts me down as
it's too "sitting at the feet of One Who Knows", and not so much a
discussion with speculative elements. "Futurism as a thread" -- my
vote is we keep it.

Kirby