the digital math fork (branch) & crypto

kirby urner

May 13, 2016, 9:57:38 PM5/13/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Given enormous pressure on K-12 to incorporate
more computer science for real, I've been extending
a campaign started by Software Association of Oregon
(name since changed) to provide a second / alternative
math track at the high school level that might put less
emphasis on calculus, yet still be for a college-bound
and/or higher ed bound cohort, including for those
interested in STEM careers.

I've used somewhat quirky language to map out the
campaign's strategy, branding conventional pre-calc
/ calc as "delta calculus" in contrast to a more discrete,
digital calculus I've connected to the Greek letter lambda.

These associations were not arbitrary.  Delta calc is about
infinitely small changes adding up to cumulative effects,
whereas lambda calc is more based in the on-or-off
quantum world of discontinuous gaps.

Along the lambda track I've put topics in cryptography,
which in turn invokes topics in probability and number
theory.  We want to understand how public key cryptography
works.  I've mentioned RSA a few times, and included it in
my diagrams.  "RSA is embedded in every web browser"
is one of my talking points.

However, we need to expand our horizons and look at helping
students making sense of Blockchain and in particular Bitcoin
as an enterprise.  As a math teacher, I might typically assign
Youtubes for homework.  Here are the four I'd recommend:

Math homework:  Lambda Calc Track
Topic:  Intro to crypto-currencies

https://youtu.be/YIVAluSL9SU  (Blockchain PR, professional...)
https://youtu.be/Lx9zgZCMqXE  (deeper....)