Discovering Math with Python

kirby urner

Sep 6, 2017, 12:02:01 PM9/6/17
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

I started a new "math through programming" project on Github called Discovering Math with Python:

https://github.com/4dsolutions/Python5/blob/master/Introduction.ipynb

I'll take awhile to flesh out completely however some of it is pretty well hammered out.

Per the Introduction, my main intent is to demonstrate Jupyter Notebooks as a free and useful technology for implementing Lesson Plans and encouraging student exploration.

Kirby

kirby urner

Sep 6, 2017, 3:02:48 PM9/6/17
to MathFuture
I've been chronicling my process here:

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2877392

Thanks to Github technology, it's easy to update a text in place.

It's also a collaboration mechanism.

Thanks to Wes Turner on edu-sig for illuminating feedback.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2017-September/date.html

Kirby

Joseph Austin

Sep 7, 2017, 10:45:47 AM9/7/17
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Kirby,
I like what I think it is you are trying to do,
but I find this "introduction" a bit overwhelming,
even though i have a degree in CS, have recently been programming in Python (2.6),
and know math through orthogonal function solutions to partial differential equations,
and all the math computer scientists learn.

Could you "lead me by the hand" to an introduction suitable for:
(a) a math teacher who maybe knows some "blockly"  programming,
but is not otherwise familiar Python or Jupyter?

(b) a student who is trying to learn math at grade level _____ ?

Or perhaps I could try my hand at writing one myself, once I figure out Jupyter and the curriculum sequence you are following.

Joe Austin