Mathochism event with A.K. Whitney tonight June 16 at 8 P.M. EST - Math Future series

Maria Droujkova

Jun 16, 2015, 8:20:17 AM6/16/15
to mathf...@googlegroups.com, natur...@googlegroups.com
Register for the open and free online event at http://naturalmath.com/mathfuture/eventslist/4511/mathochism.html

Mathochism is one woman’s attempt to revisit the math that plagued her in school. But can determination make up for 25 years of math neglect?

The project is an excellent conversation starter for discussing learning, power, and gender. Here is a short summary from the American Mathematical Society:

Journalist A.K. Whitney is a “math phobe turned math phile,” according to her Twitter bio. Growing up, she enjoyed science, but bad experiences in middle and high school math classes kept her from pursuing a STEM major. A few years ago, she enrolled in a pre-algebra class at a local community college and started her math education basically from scratch. When a friend asked her why, she said, “I got sick of believing I suck at math.” In a series called Mathochism, she writes about her experiences working her way up through calculus. I first encountered the series on Medium, where she is posting an installment every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but it is also available on her blog.

A.K. Whitney

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova
NaturalMath.com