lambda calc meets statistics

kirby urner

Apr 27, 2016, 5:21:45 PM4/27/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Outside of the strict AP calc sequence, and helping
to satisfy an Oregonian's three years of required math
in high school:  trig and stats, each a semester long,
so together that adds to a year.

Years:Subject
1.0  Algebra
1.0  Geometry
0.5  Stats
0.5  Trig
----
3.0

could be a complete high school math career.  Your
mileage may vary (YMMV) depending on your state,
but likely much is similar.

Where IT World (Information Technology) meets stats
today in a dramatic way, one high schoolers might
relate to, is where Machine Learning meets Big Data.

Examples such as optical character recognition,
voice recognition, any kind of pattern matching, based
on training against sample databases, show we have
come a long way in a few decades.

The latter resource linked above is especially good
on using circles.  One of our themes here on mathfuture.

Pattern searching often begins with filtering, finding
a way to mask signal from noise, and then to amplify
signal.

A "pipeline" of signal or image processing takes us from
raw data to polished product.

The Hubble space telescope team was moving their pipeline
to Python to make it more sharable (more affordable) to
Several curricula aimed at the high school level already
feature image processing / filtering i.e. the "pipeline" approach.

Wolfram Language, the basis of Mathematica, makes
this kind of work especially convenient.
Fourier Analysis is typically a delta calc topic, so how
much of that do we want to tackle on the lambda track too?

Stats and trig are not out of bounds.

On the contrary, we're talking about the analysis of discrete
data sets.

There's no reason to build a wall or fence between the
two tracks (lambda and delta).

Positive synergy is the name of the game.

Kirby

(re today's brainstorming session, among those able to
physically materialize at Linus Pauling's boyhood home).

kirby urner

Apr 27, 2016, 6:09:10 PM4/27/16
to MathFuture

I'm finding this Youtube an excellent resource.  He highly recommends watching
a lot of prerequisite videos and that's a plan, however for just getting the flavor of
the knowledge domain we're in, I'm finding this one great for orienteering
purrposes:

https://flic.kr/p/FJzZpH

(that's a screen shot, I leave it as a geocaching exercise to actually find
the Youtube, if interested, or should I say in finding it, you'll be doing what
machines are steadily getting better at, but you're still a lot better).

Where's Waldo?

Kirby