Fibo!

Murray

Jun 25, 2015, 2:36:02 AM6/25/15
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

A colleague developed this Fibonacci Series based app and sent it to me recently (iPhone/iPad only):

It seems to me to have a good blend of strategy and mental arithmetic, but I'm not the target age.

What are your thoughts? Any ideas for improvement?

Regards
Murray

Sue

Jun 25, 2015, 10:44:21 AM6/25/15
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to try it out, but you apparently have to sign in to the Apple store (even though it's free), and I would prefer not to.

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 23:36:01 -0700
From: murray...@gmail.com
To: mathf...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Math Future] Fibo!

Maria Droujkova

Jun 25, 2015, 10:47:51 AM6/25/15
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
You can't install any iOS piece of software without having an account, unless you hack your phone or pad.

Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova
NaturalMath.com
-- .- - ....

jedward

Jun 25, 2015, 2:35:04 PM6/25/15
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing...love the app!

Mike South

Jun 26, 2015, 9:17:36 AM6/26/15
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
This is an excellent example of something Michael R Fellows called "Game Handles" if I remember right.  Basically, the notion is that there are gamifiable structures in mathematics (and in his specialty, computer science) that one should be able to embody in interesting games (this was 1994 or earlier, long before "serious games" were cool :) ).  Described in some detail here: http://www.mrfellows.net/papers/C32-games.pdf

Anyway--there are the existing games "2048" and "Powers of 2" that use a similar dynamic to this, and merely by the fact that one is familiar with another sequence, one is able to "turn the handle on the math machine" and crank out an interesting game from it.

I don't mean any disrespect--the author thought this out and worked out what would be needed to move from the significantly more straightforward operations of the predecessor games to a sequence that becomes much more complex to move back and forth in in your head.  The introduction of "out of sequence numbers" is unique to my knowledge (at least it is not in those two most popular instances).

I've only played through one time, but I'm very interested in playing again and itching to start working out what kinds of algorithms/heuristics might be employed.  All in all, very well done.

mike

Maria Droujkova

Jun 28, 2015, 10:34:30 PM6/28/15
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Mike South <mso...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Interesting article, Mike. Thank you for linking. I think the handles are called something like "mechanics" by now. They are still hard to find and, even found, not entirely easy to turn into engaging games. I wish that process had more of a craft to it, but it's still very much an art.

--
Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova