2 days left: please help me crowdfund our new book on problem-solving for the young

Maria Droujkova

Jul 5, 2016, 8:08:29 PM7/5/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We have two days left until the end of the crowdfunding campaign for our new book, Avoid Hard Work. We've reached the goal - thank you, wonderful contributors! The book will be a reality soon.

And now, we are going for a stretch goal! Check it out, and if you like what you see, please contribute. You can download sample activities, watch James Tanton's story about a pirate island problem, and learn more at:

http://naturalmath.com/avoid-hard-work/ Avoid Hard Work by Maria Droujkova, James Tanton, and Yelena McManaman gives a playful view on ten powerful problem-solving techniques. These techniques were first published by the Mathematical Association of America to help high school students with advanced math courses. We adapted the ten techniques and the sample problems for much younger children. The book is for parents, teachers, math circle leaders, and others who work with children ages three to ten. It will come out in the Fall of 2016.

--
Cheers,
Dr. Maria Droujkova

kirby urner

Jul 6, 2016, 6:33:07 PM7/6/16
to MathFuture
Whew just under the deadline.

I'm impressed by the growing infrastructure for relatively painless crowdfunding.  My dream of a philanthropic Coffee Shops Network where they amount you get to donate is in part based on games of skill (which always involve some chance), also depends on infrastructure advances.

I've used PayPal twice in the last hour, having earlier signed up for an ethnic event (whatever that means, like a rock concert maybe). :-D

Kirby

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 5:08:29 PM UTC-7, MariaD wrote:
Hello,

We have two days left until the end of the crowdfunding campaign for our Whewnew book, Avoid Hard Work. We've reached the goal - thank you, wonderful contributors! The book will be a reality soon.

Maria Droujkova

Jul 7, 2016, 6:37:49 PM7/7/16
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your support, Kirby!

I am so grateful for what a community can do together. 5 hours left - we are in a good shape for this book :-) Which is going to be awesome.